• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swapping Dana 35 To Chrysler 8.25

cj11

NAXJA Forum User
Never have done a rear yet. My question is how easy is it to swap the two. (Please do not tell me to search did not find the answers i need.)
I have a 97 with ABS dana 35 and 3.55 gears.

What is needed to do this swap. What parts do I need to get from the junkyard and will it be a problem with the ABS.

Definitely go for a 29 spline model (i believe 97 and newer) over a 27 spline and grab the spring plates too. While youre at it, since you'll most likely have to do the brakes, grab a set of ZJ disks and put them on. I just did a swap and it was painless and very straight forward. Get some ZJ disk wheel studs too to put on the Chrysler axles as they are longer than the drum studs. And +1 on the new U-bolts

You'll need the axle and also new ubolts and plates they are differant for the 8.25 and the turdy five. Not sore about the ABS but I know most people here disable them anyway because they are riddled with problems. Sometimes I use goole to search if you type what you want and include naxja in there it gives you mostly naxja results. Works much better than the naxja search.

You'll need to get rid of the ABS. Search on exactly how to do that because most people just pull the relays, but I'm not sure which relays to pull. I don't want to do this swap because I'd have to get rid of my ABS, although I might be able to get around that if I had a D44 and knew if/how to swap the tone rings.

Guess if I can get my hands on a 8.25 I will try the swap. I think I am going to pull the abs relay if I do not like the way it brakes can I just hook it back up.

Guess if I can get my hands on a 8.25 I will try the swap. I think I am going to pull the abs relay if I do not like the way it brakes can I just hook it back up.

If you replace the fuses and do not have the tone rings then the ABS light will come on, no big deal just annoying. I removed the ABS off of my 96 after swapping both axles by pulling all of the sensor wires and re-plumbing the master cylinder then just unplugged and pulled the unit, I also pulled the light out of the dash for the ABS. Works great, no issues.

As far as the swap, I've done this on 3 XJ's now. Get the drive shaft with the axle, new u-bolts from a local spring shop (remember the 8.25 has 3" axle tubes). The tie plates should be fine as they have elongated holes to allow for either axle from the factory. Its really a simple swap.

I'm doing this exact swap tomorrow in my 89. I don't have ABS to begin with so I don't have to worry about that. I'm also doing a SYE and XJ front driveshaft swap at the same time along with some new 4.5" lift springs for the rear. I picked up a 29 spline 8.25 out of a 2000 XJ about a month ago for the swap.

I am also in the middle of this swap, so I will let you know this weekend when it is all said and done how it went.
I would suggest getting brake lines from the JY. You can get the front lines and rear main line off a YJ to get an extended brake line upgrade for cheap. Also, be careful of the block to drum hard brake lines snapping. Happenend on both sides to me while removing.

Good Luck!

you can get the 8.25 to run with ABS. Get a pair of ZJ tone rings, ZJ sensors, and ZJ disc brakes. Have the tone ring machined until it is about 1/8" thick. Then have a step machined in the back of the axle flange. If done right it should be a press fit, and minimal adhesive will be needed. Then cut a notch in the axle flange to accommodate the Zj sensor. Throw on the Zj discs on, which is needed for the ABS to work as the XJ tone won't fit at all.

That sounds like a lot of work:sunshine:.
I prefer no ABS when I wheel especially if it is muddy.
To Each His Own, I say. What works for me might not work for you, and vice versa. :angel:

Happy Wheeling!

Xjtrailrider what about the brakes and can you give me alittle more info on what is involved what this.

I have 2 96 XJ's, one with ABS and one without. I just re-plumbed the ABS equipped XJ like the one that wasn't, most auto parts stores will have the fittings and line you will need. Pick up a double flare tool, tubing cutter and tubing bender while you are there also.

Then all you have to do is disconnect the ABS pump and remove it, pull the fuses and pull the light bulb out of the dash. I also notified my insurance company that I had disabled and removed the ABS on that vehicle. They made not of it on my policy but really didn't care otherwise.

If you have a BENDIX ABS equipped XJ, I don't think you can safely disconnect/disable the ABS. The BENDIX stuff was used on the early models.

To Each His Own, I say. What works for me might not work for you, and vice versa. :angel:

I agree.... that is why I have a piece of duct tape on the ABS fuse in the PDC. Pull that one fuse and ABS is disable for offroad. In road I prefer ABS. And it wasn't a whole lot of work. I put ABS on my D35 with disk brakes and all that needed was the XJ axle shaft and the flange notched. For the 8.25 I had a machine shop that liked doing different things such as this and it was basically play time for him with no charge. But he did such a good job that it was a press fit.

If you have a BENDIX ABS equipped XJ, I don't think you can safely disconnect/disable the ABS. The BENDIX stuff was used on the early models.

If you have an Xj with the Bendix system you are better off swapping it out for a later system with or with out ABS. That system is just complete fail. When it works its great... but it is prone to failure.

Go with a Ford 8.8 with the gears you need and be done with it.
An Explorer '96 and newer will come with disk brakes and can be found for only $250 or a little more depending on your local Salvage Yard.
Check it out. Do a google. You will see what I am saying. It is so much stronger than a C8.25 or a D35.

Last edited:
I can not believe all this nonsense!
Go with a Ford 8.8 with the gears you need and be done with it.
An Explorer '96 and newer will come with disk brakes and can be found for only $250 or a little more depending on your local Salvage Yard.
Check it out. Do a google. You will see what I am saying. It is so much stronger than a C8.25 or a D35.

No way, not nonsense! The 8.25 is comparable in strength to the D-44 and now has good aftermarket support thanks to a couple of million XJ's out there. The 8.8 is a great axle and discs are nice but it has inherent problems as well, most notably spun axle tubes. Also some on here either cant or dont have the means to move the spring perches. For someone who wants a bolt in improvement over the D-turdyfive, the 29 spline 8.25 fits the bill nicely. They are cheap, abundant and bolt right up.

I prefer the 8.25 myself and I build/set-up my own diffs. For me its all about a balance of ground clearance, strength and availability. A shaved 8.25 will slip over stuff just fine and hold up on the rocks with a set of alloy shafts with no issues.

Its what I run on my 96 trail rig and so far its held up just fine on 35's and locked.

Back