• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BB and RE 3.5

Skibum12189

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking to buy a 3.5" RE Super-ride, but I want to be able to fit 33s so I was thinking maybe I would get a 1.5" BB (http://www.quadratec.com/products/76190_803.htm) Theoretically, that would leave me with like 4.5 to 5" of lift which would be plenty for 33s.

I'm a noob for sure and this will be my first lift. Is my thought process skewed in anyway. Will the shocks and brake lines that come with the super-ride work with spacers and shackles? Would i be able to fit 33s with no trimming? Should i just save up and get the 4.5"? Or should i just stick with the 3.5 and 31s for my first lift and upgrade if I feel the need to down the road?

it depends. Ideally, you'd be better off just getting the 4.5" kit. But if you're on a budget, there's nothing wrong with doing the 3.5" kit and BB. If you don't mind trimming, you can fit 33's with the 3.5" kit.

here's some pics of mine with the RE 3.5" kit and 33's with trimmed fenders and TJ flares. I just recently upgraded to a 6" long arm setup:

OcalaTrip1-24-09070-1.jpg

OcalaTrip1-24-09074.jpg

OcalaTrip1-24-09082.jpg

RE lifts typically run higher then advertised, so with the BB I would expect around 5.5" lift. But at that height you have to deal with an SYE, driveshaft, longer control arms, longarms, drop brackets, brakelines, and steering angles.
I suggest that you stay with just the 3.5" (probably net over 4"), trim/dumpstop to fit the 33's. take your time and you can make it look clean

Save up and do the 4.5" and a hack and tap SYE. Then you can get a new double cardan driveshaft. I got my driveshaft and SYE from DPG for right about $400. I ran my lift for a while with 4.5" coils and a spacer (the kit was an RE 3.5", I just already had the coils) and you won't be getting UCAs with the 3.5" and as was mentioned, at that height it's almost a guarantee you'll need an SYE of some sort.

I did the exact same thing, although my BB was really on a budget. I got the coil spacers for free and found some nice Skyjacker 1" greaseable shackles in the junkyard for 14 bucks.
Now I traded my 3.5" coils for some 4.5" coils, and with the greaseable shackles still in, I'm still higher in the rear about 1/2-1".
I'm sitting on 32s and it looks like it needs bigger tires.

I am looking to buy a 3.5" RE Super-ride, but I want to be able to fit 33s so I was thinking maybe I would get a 1.5" BB (http://www.quadratec.com/products/76190_803.htm) Theoretically, that would leave me with like 4.5 to 5" of lift which would be plenty for 33s.

I'm a noob for sure and this will be my first lift. Is my thought process skewed in anyway. Will the shocks and brake lines that come with the super-ride work with spacers and shackles? Would i be able to fit 33s with no trimming? Should i just save up and get the 4.5"? Or should i just stick with the 3.5 and 31s for my first lift and upgrade if I feel the need to down the road?

Theory and Reality differ on this. There's a lot more engineering going into the 4.5 or 5.5 inch systems - take a look at the components, and see what you'll be missing if you stack components. BB's have there place but don't design a large lift around them. You really should regear to turn 33's, which opens up whole nother expense item. . . Search a bunch. Nothing wrong with a small lift and 31's but most everyone wants bigger tires sooner or later. . .

I have the RE 3.5 with ACOS and shackles. ... SYE, RE Control Arm drop Brackets. Uca & Lcas better suited for the lift (My super ride kit kept the stock uppers), longer brakelines. I trimmed my fenders as well.

I'm on 33s & 4.56 gears

Back