• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

from 1994 to 2000

drknyt

NAXJA Forum User
let me first apologize for not searching, i just dont have any time, i am about to get a 2000 xj, that has a bad motor, i just need to know if a motor from a 94 HO will bolt in? also, does a 2000 have 2 O2 sensors? ill be swapping my lift, axles, lift kit, bumpers, skids, motor, and transfercase over from my 94 to my 2000, will i run into any problems? any heads up on anything will be greatly appriciated!!! thanks!!

Won't be a drop in. You will have to drill and tap holes for the mounts and probably use accessories from the 94 engine. the o2 sensors depend on if it is a federal or cali emissions package. The 2000 exhaust manifold won't work on your 94 head.

motor swapped in way easy, used 94 block and head and internals, used 2000 coil pack, power steering pump/bracket, used 2000 ac compressor with 94 bracket, switch over oil pressure sending unit from 2000 and there is a sensor that mounts where the distributor when that also turns the oil pump, used intake and exhaust manifolds from 2000, bolted right up to 94 head, used 2000 alternator and starter, and motor mounts were identical! any questions???? :D:D:D:D

let me first apologize for not searching, i just dont have any time, i am about to get a 2000 xj, that has a bad motor, i just need to know if a motor from a 94 HO will bolt in? also, does a 2000 have 2 O2 sensors? ill be swapping my lift, axles, lift kit, bumpers, skids, motor, and transfercase over from my 94 to my 2000, will i run into any problems? any heads up on anything will be greatly appriciated!!! thanks!!

Is it just the top end that's blown, the bottom end, or the whole thing?

Your 2000 will need to maintain the 2000 intake (due to accessory mounts) and exhaust (pre-cats and upstream HEGO sensors,) and the exhaust ports won't line up with the 1994 head. I didn't know about having to D&T engine mount holes - anyone got a pic (or better, a diagram? I haven't been able to get prints yet.)

The heads will physically and mechanicall swap back and forth between the short blocks - they use the same screw pattern. Make sure to use the spark plugs for the head you end up using if you swap heads.

However, it's easier to give useful answers when you are more specific with your questions - and we usually try to save you some work as well...

shattered a piston skirt, i had a 94 engine sitting there out of a jeep i just flopped, exhaust ports did line up i just needed the manifold gasket for the 2000, no exhaust leaks of any kind, also motor mounts were identical no D&T

dont have a picture of the ports, the ports on a 1994 manifold gasket were WAY to big but i got a 2000 gasket and they work awesome! i just stuck the coil pack strip over the spark plugs, obviously no way to bolt it on, but it grounds with the plug that goes into it, i had a problem with it blowing a fuse but i figured out what it was

you realize that the coil pack sends spark to the spark plug which then grounds to the block right? if i didn't ground it right why is it running flawlessly?

Back