• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering column repair

XJ 4-play

NAXJA Forum User
So we now have many xj's in the family. Between my niece and my brother in law I have an endless amount of maintenance and repair. A 99sport, 96 classic, 90 limited (imo) would pretty much be just about anyone's pickings of the best years made so we are pretty lucky.

My brother in law is a pretty big guy. He's owned his limited a long time but knows nothing about them because it always runs great. He was having issues with the key cylinder turning. I showed him how to make it work a few times but like I said he's a big guy. One day out of frustration he eventually turned the steering column so hard it ripped the entire thing pretty much clean off. All the wires in the collumn wrenched half way around the steering wheel and the majority broke.

So here's the question. (Yes, it's the GM steering column) with chevy keys and all. Do I just need to find another column assembly to fix it. It looks like only a few connectors and like four bolts not including the u-joint on the steering shaft. If it's from a jeep from around the same year should another just swap.

The junk yard wants to sell it in pieces and not the whole shaft assembly, what's a reasonable price for the whole thing?

I've read all the posts, I just wondering if it is as easy as it looks.

Depending on where you go and if theres a sale, you can get the full column for cheap.

Good to hear. I'll start calling around it sure would be nice to have a donor relatively close in age with all the same connectors. Am I looking at 100-200 or way less.

Is it a weekend job or a morning fix.

Back