• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

parts store front driveshaft?

BlueCuda

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone ever buy reman front shaft from orielly or anyone else? My front shaft is worn smooth out and the local ds shops want $375 or so to rebuild. Orielly has one for $200. Worth a shot?

Clark

Not wanting to get another worn front shaft so junkyard is out of the question.

I'd rather spend $10 at the junkyard and 10 minutes chnging it
your money though......sorry I have no experience with the reman unit.

That's cool. I just lookng for some insight. The yards are not that cheap here and if I amgoint to replace it I want new. If I need to spend $400 with tom woods I will but was just looking for a cheaper way out for a new/reman front shaft. Thanks for the replies.

from my experience if u keep the thing lubed up and replace a u joint every now and again a front drive shaft should last forever. unless u break it but thats a different subject all together. go find u junkyard diamond i've owned a few junkyard driveshafts no problems a couple i didn't even have to replace the u joints, just my 2 cents

The front dirveshaft is fully rebuildable in your driveway. They are $30 at the junkyard.

I bought a new centering ball assembly and new u-joints and was done in under two hours.

I've had 2 or 3 of the cv units on the stock front driveshaft go out on me (on various xj's). Once I replace them with aftermarket units and grease them I haven't had further issues. With that said, I'd do a junkyard one too, but that's because I know where the good pick 'n pulls are. Give the O'Reilly one a shot and let us know. I'm sure it's warrantied and you'll know once you pick it up if it looks right or not.

The slip is the part thats worn, and its worn pretty badly as well. The centering ball is no big deal as I can do that myself but its in good shape lol. This one will become my spare and the orielly one will go in the jeep. I will update this thread when I get one.

The junkyards here are pricey, no later model cherokees in the u-pull yards(only have one) and I won't drop $100 on a used shaft. I don't think anything is $10 in the local u-pull yard lol. Thanks for the replies.

Back