• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mabey a stupid question

frontman

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so a few weeks ago I changed the water pump. A week or so later i could smell something burning from the motor and when i popped the hood i noticed that the serpentine belt was all chewed up. well at the time it was no biggie i just figured i put it on wrong, and i needed to change it anyways. So I went and purchaced the gatorback and put it on. BTW I was sober when i put it on. I drove the jeep about 40 miles and could smell the burning again, so i looked under the hood again and the new belt was all chewed up. can someone tell me WTF is ig oing on?

You put your belt on wrong?

The pulley from the water pump isnt on tight and is wobbling?

You bent the pulley trying to tighten it and its throwing the belt off?

Your belt is contacting something and getting chewed up?

The belt is too loose and coming off the harmonic balancer and getting chewed up?

Did you start your jeep and look at the belt after you replaced it? Did everything look like it was turning right? Was the belt on track turning with no problems?

ya i started the jeep after install ,and watched it. it seems fine. For what ever reason the belt keeps moving from the grooves and then rubbing on a bolt head somewhere. it isnt too loose, is it possible to over tighten the belt?

Doubt thats the problem.

So you know that the belt is coming off and rubbing on a bolt head?

I would double check your pulleys and make sure none of them are wobbling or bent...

i know the belt is moving from the grooves it should be in because i can see that it has moved from the original position, and is one groove closer to the motor. And the grove that gets too close to the motor is gone. Now when i changed the water pump, i did take the idler pully off, but its a simple deal it comes off and goes on nothin to it.

have you checked to see if the outer pulley of the harmonic balance isnt seperating from the inner pulley of the harmonic balance? its a very common problem.

use a straight edge and check alignment from pulley to pulley.
if you havent figured that out already.
and if the other suggestions didnt work.

make sure you got the pump that matches the block. I know the Wrangler 4.0l had a different pump some years and I thought the Grand had a different one also. Are you positive you've got an XJ engine it this one?

double check that the Harmonic Balancer hasn't begun to separate too. It will start "walking" backwards and do the same thing.

have you checked to see if the outer pulley of the harmonic balance isnt seperating from the inner pulley of the harmonic balance? its a very common problem.

^This. This has happened to me twice. I would really check that harmonic balancer. My money is on it. Also if that is the problem, dont get a a cheap reman part. I went though 4 of them and they kept separating until I found a new one. Remanned ones lasted like a month, and the new one has been on for 2 years.

Back