• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

egr valve removal?

XJ Beater

NAXJA Forum User
would it hurt anything to not run an egr valve and just bolt on a blockoff plate instead and plug the vac lines?, cause mine is definatly clogged and i dont have the $ for a new one, theyre all way over 50 bux, i can make an egr blockoff plate from crap i have here for free

I have heard of modifications using a beer or popcan, making a small plug... not too sure how... I would like to know this thou, I think mine is fubar as well

twisted_ed said:
I have heard of modifications using a beer or popcan, making a small plug... not too sure how... I would like to know this thou, I think mine is fubar as well

If you're going to do this, just pull the EGR vacuum line from the valve and plug the line. You don't need to do anything to the valve.

This is what I do in between smog checks, since it runs better without the thing. I plug it back in when I go to get smogged, pass the test, and pull the line again. Problem solved!

5-90

If i plug that vacume line I gain 8% or so power (by feel). If I plug it in, I gain 2 to 3 miles per gallon.

I agree with 5-90 on this, assuming that the EGR valve is closing all right. Just let it stay closed. You can even put a little plug inside the vacuum line to it, and leave it visibly connected if need be. It's easier than trying modify the manifold and the downpipe.

Back