• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

junkyard tow hooks and hitch reciever

jbcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I plan to head to the local pick-n-pull to look for an xj with stock tow hooks or a hitch i can grab for cheap and I am just wondering what years i can take them from. I have a 99 sport 2d with Chrysler 8.25" axle.

So what year xj will have tow hooks or towing packages I can grab?

Thanks

pretty sure as long as its a XJ model you will be ok, my hitch was from a "92" and i have "00" i think all the "frames" are the same

Early tow hooks are different from late tow hooks - the bumper mounts are different. You'll want '97-'01 tow hooks.

towhook.jpeg

-96 is on the left, 97- is on the right.

I'd try to find a factory hitch. They seem beefier than an aftermarket ones. The mount arms are about 12-14" long and they have a center bracket that ties into the rear crossmember. The center bracket is a pain to get loose.Take a set of torx sockets with you....

So if you have a factory receiver, you should have the tow hooks?

My receiver has a sticker with the Chrysler logo and part numbers. I've looked under it many times and didn't see any tow hooks.

Can somebody provide more information as to their location on a 97?

So if you have a factory receiver, you should have the tow hooks?

My receiver has a sticker with the Chrysler logo and part numbers. I've looked under it many times and didn't see any tow hooks.

Can somebody provide more information as to their location on a 97?

Tow hooks go on the front, attached via brackets to the unibody frame rail. There was a rare tow hook option for the rear that used the same bolts as the hitch, but it's a POS (and nearly impossible to find) and the hitch works better as a recovery point anyway.

Having the factory tow kit does not indicate the presence of hooks. If you had hooks, you'd know it, because they stick out from the front fascia like so:

towhook2.jpg

That's a '92, but '97+ are similar.

Tow hooks go on the front, attached via brackets to the unibody frame rail. There was a rare tow hook option for the rear that used the same bolts as the hitch, but it's a POS (and nearly impossible to find) and the hitch works better as a recovery point anyway.

Having the factory tow kit does not indicate the presence of hooks. If you had hooks, you'd know it, because they stick out from the front fascia like so:

Ok, I was thinking the tow hooks were in the rear, not the front. I must have mis read the original post.

Their are only the two brackets. One on either frame rail. Pull those three bolts(15mm or t-45 torx IIRC) and unhook the vacuum capsule bolted to the passenger side of the bumper(2 10mm's)

Their are only the two brackets. One on either frame rail. Pull those three bolts(15mm or t-45 torx IIRC) and unhook the vacuum capsule bolted to the passenger side of the bumper(2 10mm's)

X2

Just pull the 15mm bolts that attack the bracket to the "frame". There's 3 bolts per side, easily accessed. Then just give the whole bumper a good tug. Should come right off. :cheers:

Went to the junkyard today. Terrible luck. 6 XJs, only one with a tow package and there was so much rust I don't think there was any metal left. =(.

Maybe Ill get more luck at another salvage yard

If you find the tow hooks, when you get the brackets off, look in the hole in the frame rail at the rear of the bracket(it's about an inch in dia.) There's a spacer/plug in there that's part of the tow hook bracket.
Also, where the front 2 bolts that hold the bumper bracket on, there may be a L shaped bracket that bolts to the front of the radiator support and reinforces the bumper bracket. These are also part of the tow hook bracket.

Good luck on the search!

Back