• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 running terrible

camarors8992

NAXJA Forum User
98 xj 4.0 aw4 231

About a week ago while running some seasonal roads i had my CEL light kick on. I had it checked 3 days ago at a local autozone and go the code PO132. The paper says " Oxygen sensor high voltage ( heated oxygen sensor bank; sensor 1.)"

As I understand that, my upstream o2 sensor is no good, and I know this sensor controls the Air/Fuel ratio. However, i'm still getting the same gas mileage ( 138 miles at the 1/2 tank mark) and the jeep still feels like it has plenty of power, but when under load it back fires, bucks, and I experience an extreme power loss. It gets worse if I give it more skinny pedal but if I back off and let it just coast it will come to and be alright again. I got it home under it's own power tonight, but the jeep wasn't happy about it.

Sound like just the o2 sensor or maybe more ? It's only throwing the 1 code.

yeah, when it happened to mine, I was checking all the other electrical sensors, then I noticed that if I unplugged and plugged back in the 02 sensor it would run fine for 5-10 min. then start doing the same thing again. Replaced both the 02 sensors for good measure and no problems since. Rockauto has the best prices on the sensors, I got the Denso ones.

go to autozone and rent an 02 sensor wrench. Spray the 02 sensor with some sort of lube. Run the jeep for 5 min. or so to let things heat up. Wearing gloves preferably, use the wrench and unscrew the 02 sensor. Should come right out if you let the jeep run first. Mine came right out very easily on my 98. Put anti-seize on the new one you install.

Back