• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 torque converters

ChevelleSSLS6

NAXJA Forum User
I think the stall speed of the torque converters are pretty high for the 'tractor motor' status of the AMC inliners.

Has anyone found a supplier of low stall speed torque converters? I read the debate ax15 vs aw4, and I prefer a clutch, but would like a granny 1st gear (think NV4500), but don't have the kind of money for a big'un transmission like that.

Right now it's in Michigan, mostly 'forest trail' use, and dune use, 3" lift, 31s.. Not much for rocks, and mud is too much of a pain to clean off well, so if I do that I'm getting a beater or using someone else's Jeep.

This is for a 'someday' projet, and thought it would be an interesting topic.
Matt

Intersting topic, but unnecessary. The stock torque converter is used in daily drivers, trail rigs, buggy's, competition rigs.. it works fine.

wire a controller into your TCM and use either buttons or a joystick to shift into what gear you want, when you want, and wire a switch to lock your torque converter when you want. Search for Brett, he used to sell em.

wire a controller into your TCM and use either buttons or a joystick to shift into what gear you want, when you want, and wire a switch to lock your torque converter when you want. Search for Brett, he used to sell em.

did you ever try wheeling with Brett?

he's the only guy I ever saw who would stall his automatic every three minutes, and his shifter setup is reputed far and wide to randomly shift when any kind of radio (cb, ham) is keyed up near by.

lol! nope! never wheeled within 2000 miles of him more than likely. That must be why he doesn't sell that anymore huh? Shielded wire harness are priceless in a situation like that.

Not sure what year your rig is but the stock converters on the pre 96 XJs seems alot tighter to me. My 97 is quite a bit looser than the renix era rigs I have driven before.

i never really saw a selectable necessity with past aw4 rigs, all ive done is wire up a switch to lock in first gear and its proven sufficient for me, if i need second i just bump the shifter up, if for some ungodly reason that i should need it to shift higher just put it in drive and let it eat, the stock 4.0 really oesnt have enough power to get it past second anyway (ive seen high revving strokers get an aw4 to 3rd while sitting still :) )

Not sure what year your rig is but the stock converters on the pre 96 XJs seems alot tighter to me. My 97 is quite a bit looser than the renix era rigs I have driven before.

Yeah, I personally HATE auto's but have an '89 AW4 and its actually nice to drive. The trail rig though is a AX15 about to have a hand throttle.

My buddy used to have a Renix MJ... (he sold it to his sister) and I never noticed it, but after driving it a couple times and comparing it to how mine feels, I do think his TC was tighter (better for MPG and puts the torque of our inliners to good use, rather than slipping it all into heat or whatever higher stall converters do). I wonder if the loosening of the converter was in the name of acceleration, or what.

I'm just really sick of cruising around less than 45mph, and I can blip the throttle and it just revs, at least until it hits stall speed (~1750rpm) then I feel noticeable acceleration.... I couldn't stand to drive a musclecar with a high-stall performance converter, it'd drive me insane. Ideally, I'd go with a stick, but as long as the AW4 is kickin, if I need to pull the engine for some reason, I'll look into a TC for a renix era AW4 and see if they're compatable with the newer XJs.

Personally I like mine bieng more loose than the early AW4s. It works well with my stroker. It locks the converter going down the road anyways.

You would hate my Barracuda, its a 8" 4500 stall converter :D that flashes to about 5000. Tach only drops on the shifts if they are above 5500.

My dad builds hotrods for a living and has several of his own. I hate those high stall converters in those things! I am pretty darn happy with my 4.0 / AW4 combo in my 96. Works great on the trail and the street. I guess its different for everyone.

~James

You would hate my Barracuda, its a 8" 4500 stall converter :D that flashes to about 5000. Tach only drops on the shifts if they are above 5500.

You're right about the street...

I'd love it on the track though, especially in the classes where consistency is important. (autos are much more consistent....)

Back