• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 steering/disconnect question

hjeepxj

#OCDINK
NAXJA Member
I've got a D30 im building up and want to go w/cross over steering. I have to raise the trackbar mount but it seems that all the bracketry to do this is made for a non-disconnect axle. The spare housing I have is a disconnect so I'd like to use it.

Has anyone made anything work? Or am I going to need to fab something up? It almost seems that I could modify the Ballistic Fab one to work.

BTT

Having dealt with both several times..

get a non disco housing before you start doing fab work. ;)

Having dealt with both several times..

get a non disco housing before you start doing fab work. ;)

DAMMIT, that's what I was afraid of. Is it just a big pain? Or can it be done at all?

Anything can be done. ;)

The biggest problem is getting it to not leak when you put one peice shafts in.

Anything can be done. ;)

The biggest problem is getting it to not leak when you put one peice shafts in.

Makes sense. I guess welding to the cast of the disconnect part could tweak it? Perhaps using those aftermarket outer seals would cure that issue??

The aftermarket outer seals are to keep dirt out, not really to keep oil in. I would not trust them in that fashion.

You can take a dremel to the third member and fit an OEM seal behind the passenger side carrier bearing, sometimes ot works great, sometimes it doesnt.

The aftermarket outer seals are to keep dirt out, not really to keep oil in. I would not trust them in that fashion.

You can take a dremel to the third member and fit an OEM seal behind the passenger side carrier bearing, sometimes ot works great, sometimes it doesnt.

Well, I had good luck on my present axle with the one piece shaft (as in it doesn't leak) using a seal I got off the shelf. So I'll prolly got that route.

Which bracket did you use on the disco axle to raise the trackbar? Or did you need to fab one.

I didn't. I ran a disco housing with stock bracketry, and built a non disco housing on the side when it was time to upgrade.

I didn't. I ran a disco housing with stock bracketry, and built a non disco housing on the side when it was time to upgrade.

10-4.

I'm thinkin Ill just order the Ballistic Fab bracket and modify it to fit the disco housing and learn by doing.

:eyes:

Just do what I told you, ya cheap bastard............:cheers:

:D

I did not see a TNT truss that would fit the disco axle...am I missing something?:dunno:

Don't give me that crap, I told you how to modify it.............:twak:

Fawk, I missed that part, seriously? It looks like the truss actually replaces the upper control arm mount...and I don't really want to do that, as it is a bitch....

Why not? That was the point. Just lop off the UCA mount on passenger side. The truss sits over it and gives you a much better foundation for a TB mount. Take you 10 whole mintues with your angle grinder.

Remember though, the entire UCA mount on a disco axle is cast....

I'm aware, how does that affect anything?

Ok, disregard, I can figure that part out, I just felt like it would be easier to avoid doing that.

On the trackbar end of it though, it doesn't look as if it will be able to be welded to the disconnect part...case in point:

Truss_d30Sample4.jpg

And according to their website, it looks like I'll have to buy each part individually...so the whole setup would be roughly $360....

Back