• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ign switch losing power

JT86XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ill be driving down the road and the jeep will just die not just the engine but everything like you just shut the key off and before I start ripping the dash apartI need to know where the ign switch gets it power.

Sounds more like battery connection. Take apart battery terminals and grounds. Clean with sandpaper or scotchbrite, then spray start, brake cleaner, etc.. If yours is an 86 like your name, the ground strap from the cylinder head to the firewall is known at the RENIX killer!

Check the small negative wire that comes off your battery it runs to a solonoid with 2 or 3 other wires going off of it. One of those wires lit on fire on mine and caused this to happen.

It is a 92, I had a 86 first, i cleaned the battery terminals, and grounds but it still losing power, sometimes Ill get power back if I let it sit, but lately it just stay dead

Could the battery be going dead? Can you check the voltage with key off, and then when running, with a voltmeter? We need a little more description. If it sits for a long time, does it crank good and start up ok? When it dies, does it still crank good, but not run?

when it does evrything is dead no cranking, no accesories nothing , that requires the ign to be on, the headlights, brakes light and things like that will still work, but everything else is dead, ive checked the battery and it was still holding a good charge. im just running out of ideas of where to go next.

How did you check the battery? Voltmeter I hope. The lights can work on much less juice than the starter. Did you try jumping it from another vehicle? Or jumping across the starter terminals with a screwdriver to make it crank? (be careful you're not in gear)

I checked the batt with a a volt meter, I tried jumping it nothing happened, I took my test light and I dont have any power to the ign switch, and if i take a jumper wire to the switch, It'll start right up, just like normal. I drive it like that to get it home, but dont really wanna leave it rigged like that would rather fix it right. thanks for the help

Back