• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Herculiner Help

cmacxj

NAXJA Forum User
Okay before you read any further, I DID USE THE SEARCH BUTTON :)

Anyways, I couldn't find an exact answer I was looking for so here is my question. I pulled the carpet out of my 98 and am planning to Herculine from the rear seats to the front. So my question is "Do I just need to sand/clean away all the rust, then use POR15, then put on the Herculiner?" I guess I'm wondering if the por15 step is needed/recomended. Thanks a lot guys

I herculined the interior of my 98. I just sanded the interior down to bare metal and put herculiner over it. That was about 9 months ago and it hasn't rubbed or chipped off at all. One of the best things you can do.
If I did it again, I probably would have put another couple coats on. I think I did 2 or 3 coats, and I had tons of herculiner left. I used it on other stuff, but would have done a couple more coats if I did it again.

I just cleaned up all the dirt and fuzz from the carpet with a hose/wet rag then drained and sucked it all out with a wet-vac. After it dried out, I took the brush and roller and went to town. It adhered really well and doesn't seem to chip off at all. I even used it on the foam under the headliner when i ripped that out to give it that "classy" look. I didn't bother sanding anything and it has held up against lots of abuse from heat, water and gear.
:D

Okay before you read any further, I DID USE THE SEARCH BUTTON :)

Anyways, I couldn't find an exact answer I was looking for so here is my question. I pulled the carpet out of my 98 and am planning to Herculine from the rear seats to the front. So my question is "Do I just need to sand/clean away all the rust, then use POR15, then put on the Herculiner?" I guess I'm wondering if the por15 step is needed/recomended. Thanks a lot guys

I used this on my sliders and on my bumper which were originally bare metal. I didn't use POR 15 but i did use a rust inhibitor primer and it stuck great. Just make sure that its really clean. So far no chips or anything. Like said before lots of coats are a good idea.

Actually, on the can, it says to sand down to bare metal if I'm not mistaken. It bonds best that way.

It actually says painted or primed steel. I just happen to have done mine in the past two weeks. And it also says it on there website in the faq section aswell. I did the whole floor rear to front.
101_0311.jpg

Last edited:
I did not sand mine to bare metal completely, only in rusted spots, but I did sand the entire floor. I did not prime. Nothing has come off, and it's been on there for years. Sand and clean with solvent. Buy some Xylene (xylol), it's what it is thinned with, and the only solvent that cleans it up. I recommend not staying in the Jeep long enough to cover the whole floor, take some breaks or you will start to hallucinate.

I did not sand mine to bare metal completely, only in rusted spots, but I did sand the entire floor. I did not prime. Nothing has come off, and it's been on there for years. Sand and clean with solvent. Buy some Xylene (xylol), it's what it is thinned with, and the only solvent that cleans it up. I recommend not staying in the Jeep long enough to cover the whole floor, take some breaks or you will start to hallucinate.

That's what I did. I did the rear section one weekend and the rest a few weekends after that. And ya a fan will help with the hallucinations. :cheers:

So I tried to remove all the rust from the floorboards but I didnt get every single little bit of it up so is it still okay to paint over it or should I use some type of chemical to put on before the herculiner to help with the rust?

So I tried to remove all the rust from the floorboards but I didnt get every single little bit of it up so is it still okay to paint over it or should I use some type of chemical to put on before the herculiner to help with the rust?

Yeah, use some of that rust converter stuff to harden the rusty metal back up.

Thats what I did. Directions state that the paint is to be scuffed up, and in the case of rustiness I cleaned up the rust best I could and used some of that rust convertor stuff. I used it on the exterior and that shouldn't be a problem because it is Bed Liner.

You need to make sure the floor/substrate has some tooth for the Herc to stick to, that's why they say rough it up. I used a mix of Scothbrite pads on the floor to. If there is rust, try using a knotted wire wheel in a disc grinder. Should clean it all up. As mentioned, wipe everything down with Xylene before applying the Herc. No priming. Put at least two coats on. I have had mine on the interior for years and never had an issue. I did roughly the same prep on my lower doors and that has stuck fine too.

Cool, thanks a lot guys. I'll try and get it done within the next week and maybe make a write up of what all I did with some nice pics :)
Im just deciding on if I want to put the old console back in or design my own =D

Back