• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Side mouldings

cj11

NAXJA Forum User
Just getting some opinions should I leave them on or take them off. They are a nice shade of faded gray and i am sick of putting stuff on them to make them black. I have a 97 Xj red and bed liner on th lower quater panel and doors.

Kiwi shoe dye. I did it on my 99 with pretty good results. Takes about two coats.

It has lasted through one summer, and one winter with almost no fading.

take them off, it looks better :cheers:

Well took them off looks a lot better like you all said just have to touch up the bedliner on the bottom and found some hack body work under the front passager side that is going to need some work.
Nothing is ever easy.:doh:

I always seem to be a victim of fat people in junk cars dinging me.
My stock height street xj is a magnet for door dings.

The sliders on the bigger one will probably never get touched.

what did you use to take them off? heat gun or something?

wore the fingers to the bone geting mine off, i am sure it would be easier with a heat gun or hair drier

i used a 1875 hair dryer =) my fiance has a pretty high powered one... almost as good as a heat gun if you ask me!
before i removed them
IMG_0202.jpg

after (only picture i have with the updated sides)
IMG_0639.jpg

I found a decal and pin stripe wheel It goes on a drill and rolls the tape rite off. Used it on one side the other side i did with my fingers and have the blisters to prove it.

Just getting some opinions should I leave them on or take them off. They are a nice shade of faded gray and i am sick of putting stuff on them to make them black. I have a 97 Xj red and bed liner on th lower quater panel and doors.

I took mine off and I think it looks 100 times better. After that I ended up bedlining from the body line down and it looks even better.

However, if you still are thinking of keeping the moldings, try this:

http://www.por15.com/POR-GLO/productinfo/VRH/

This shit WORKS! It will take gray/chalked out black moldings and make them like showroom new. You don't have to keep reapplying either. I used this on an old wrangler and I reapplied it 3 times I think in 5 years.

I took mine off and I think it looks 100 times better. After that I ended up bedlining from the body line down and it looks even better.

Took my molding off right before I removed the fenders and trimmed. I finally get to bedline below the body line this weekend after putting it off for about a year lol.

Back