• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

drop pitman question

96TNXJ

NAXJA Forum User
hey Ive heard that you can use a ZJ pitman are to give you a 1 inch drop. Will this work for a 96 with 6.5 inches of lift?? If so does it matter what year grand cherokee that it comes out of? Or is it just as long as its out of a grand cherokee?? TIA

I believe that it is a zj not the wj, but i'm most likely wrong.
You most likely don't want to get one, because it will mess up your tracbar and steering arm angles so be sure to see if the pitman will actually help or hurt

i also have a 96 with 6.5 inch long arm and i just bought the pitman arm that went with the kit. I would not suggest changing it, i have a hell of a time with my steering now, had to relocate my track bar mount and its just a hell mess :(

I'd honestly see how it drives before you put a drop pitman arm on...i didnt so i dont know how it will work out. But im thinking that just dropping it 1 inch wont do that much so it might work out really well for you or you might be in the same boat i was :(

i dont see why the new pitman arm messed up his steering. As long as the new arm is centered you should be fine. at 6.5" i would suggest getting a drop. Hell, im gettin one too and im only at 5.5"

i dont know why it messed it up either, it was the pitman arm that was suggested with the kit.

The only reason im saying to try the stock one is because on my old truck i had a 6 inch lift and used the stock pitman arm and never had any trouble with the steering

i dont know why it messed it up either, it was the pitman arm that was suggested with the kit.

The only reason im saying to try the stock one is because on my old truck i had a 6 inch lift and used the stock pitman arm and never had any trouble with the steering

what exactly are you experiencing with the steering after installing the new arm

it just seems like my steering is loose, its weird as hell because i've checked everything and its all tight

well, you can adjust the steering box itself to accomodate for the "loose" feeling.

hey Ive heard that you can use a ZJ pitman are to give you a 1 inch drop. Will this work for a 96 with 6.5 inches of lift?? If so does it matter what year grand cherokee that it comes out of? Or is it just as long as its out of a grand cherokee?? TIA

???

especially if you are running under the knuckle steering and don't feel like welding on a new tracbar mount.....you have to ask yourself......do you want better road characteristics or better offroad performance?

If you wheel alot the benefit of a drop pitman arm will out weigh the bumpsteer due to the fact that your steering will not bind as soon.....

I'd say the ZJ pitman arm is a great way to go being a cheap way to get an inch droop! And obviously you are getting a quality OEM part. Alot of these pitman arms are EXPENSIVE and then the cheaper ones are well....cheaper in quality too!

It's a trade off...

Back