• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

headlight switch issues

dedmete

NAXJA Forum User
My 96 XJ is having headlight switch issues. It started when I went to turn on the lights and the knob pulled all the way out. I pulled the dash apart, and replaced the switch. It worked for about two "pulls" and stopped working. The headlights would still come on when the switch was pulled to the headlight "on" position, but the running lights won't come on now. If I pulled it out just a little, not in a locking position, the buzzer (I had the door open) and the running lights would come on. But it's not in a spot where the switch was clicking into a normal position, and anyway, like I said above, once you pull it all the way, headlights come on but the running lights go out. I have brake lights. Checked fuses, etc. So I took that switch back to Advance Auto and picked up a different one from Autozone... same issue. Am I breaking something when I put the knob back in? I know to get it out, you have to push the little metal button on the bottom of the switch. To put it in, I was pushing the knob in and then when it won't go any further, I push the metal button and it locks in place.

Hmm sounds like you installing it properly.. Maybe try another switch.

Good Luck

Nick

Well, I tried 2 more switches today (1 more from Autozone and 1 from NAPA), all with the same results. I thinking now it has to be something else. I checked the plug, and it looks like there's 1 connection missing. However, when I look at my old switch, it doesn't look like anything was ever connected to it? (the other metal prongs have two small scratches from making contact in the plug). It doesn't really look like there's a wire in the top of the plug either where the connector looks like it's missing. But, of the 9 holes, 8 of them have a metal contact in it.

I've replaced about 6 of these on my '94 XJ........they always crap out after about a year or two!!!

Check your connections, including the ground wire that sometimes can be hard to see/find.

I've replaced about 6 of these on my '94 XJ........they always crap out after about a year or two!!!

Check your connections, including the ground wire that sometimes can be hard to see/find.

I was going to suggest making sure the ground is connected and that its a good ground, other than that, the switch is plug and play. Might be a issue in the wire harness somewhere.

I have a similar issue on my 94' XJ I've replaced 3 Headlights Switches headlights work, but not the parking lights trying to figure out? why they dont work! prior to this....headlights wont working then I installed a new switch and headlights and everthing else works.....just NO parking lights.

Stuff that I've already checked for....

- Fuses
- Plug/Unplug the Headlights switch
- Relays behind the lower dash piece

I just dont know what else to checked for?

-Frankie

My 96 XJ is having headlight switch issues. It started when I went to turn on the lights and the knob pulled all the way out. I pulled the dash apart, and replaced the switch. It worked for about two "pulls" and stopped working. The headlights would still come on when the switch was pulled to the headlight "on" position, but the running lights won't come on now. If I pulled it out just a little, not in a locking position, the buzzer (I had the door open) and the running lights would come on. But it's not in a spot where the switch was clicking into a normal position, and anyway, like I said above, once you pull it all the way, headlights come on but the running lights go out. I have brake lights. Checked fuses, etc. So I took that switch back to Advance Auto and picked up a different one from Autozone... same issue. Am I breaking something when I put the knob back in? I know to get it out, you have to push the little metal button on the bottom of the switch. To put it in, I was pushing the knob in and then when it won't go any further, I push the metal button and it locks in place.

I have a similar issue on my 94' XJ I've replaced 3 Headlights Switches headlights work, but not the parking lights trying to figure out? why they dont work! prior to this....headlights wont working then I installed a new switch and headlights and everthing else works.....just NO parking lights.

Stuff that I've already checked for....

- Fuses
- Plug/Unplug the Headlights switch
- Relays behind the lower dash piece

I just dont know what else to checked for?

-Frankie

Someone posted in another thread that if they slowly moved the switch then the "X" lights would come on in-between the fixed points in the switch--indicating a crummy switch.

Their fix was a dealership switch.

Not sure, maybe there was a change in production over the years, or the parts store is stocking a switch made to fit multiple applications.

Try pulling the switch out a fraction at a time and see if you get the parking lights coming on somewhere at the wrong position.

Well, pulled the switch and harness that connects to the switch. one of the female blades has a burnt mark...prior to the one loose burnt prong. Maybe cleaning the harness out...to get parking lights

Like joe said.........numerous posts of bad replacement light switches. Check the switch out with an ohmeter out of the vehicle. If you get a bad one, go to a different parts chain and hope for a better lot.

I checked around some more....discovered on my headlight switch wire harness plug one of the female connectors that plugs to the headlight switch prong is fried one of the blades on the plug thats not making a (maybe full connection) to get my parking lights working!
I don't know...what would be my best bet!? thanks in advance guys!

-Frankie

Did you just swap out the switch as well?
they only problem I have is the switch could be good..
just the wire harness that connects to the switch one of the blades teeth is friend everthing else looks good NO wires that are toast! just that one blade in the harness is my concern on what needs to get done....to have parking lights and dome lights working again!

just did my switch 10 mins ago.. talk about a joke..

Back