• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ hard start question:

HeliDriver

NAXJA Forum User
My 98 XJ will never start the first time, I always have to let off the starter & then it fires right up the second time. I'm suspecting maybe fuel pressure, like a bad check valve in the rail somewhere that lets the pressure bleed off after a while. It WILL restart OK if it's within 10 minutes of having been run - after that, back to square one.

I have tried just turning on the key for a while & letting the electric fuel pump pressurize, but that doesn't make any difference - same result - gotta crank it. Sometimes when it does start, it gives off a bang like there's too much fuel - doesn't sound good ...

Any ideas ??:wave1:

HD

Mine does that too... but it does it bout 80% of the time.. on the first crank i can crank it for 5 sec and wont kick off but once i let off and crank it again it fires right up.

It ticks me off when it does that... I always think to myself that its a jeep thing.

Click on the SEARCH tab, then click on Advanced Search. Click here -> http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=80053. Type in Check Valve and limit the search to the Tech Forums. Do another Search, type in Heat Soak and limit the search to the Tech Forums.

Back