• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bastard Pack

creepykrawler

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, I have searched for a while now and tomorrow I am hitting up all the U-pull its and I am trying to put together a good bastard pack. I am looking to get around 6inches. I already got 2inch shackles so I am going for 4 inch's or more from the pack. Should I use dodge Dakota leafs vs the s10 leafs. I know I need to use the main leaf but what do I put under it. Will the different brands provide a different amount of lift? Please help.

I went with S10 packs when I did my bastard pack, they netted about 4.5-5" of lift, but I replaced everything on the stock Jeep leaf pack except the main leaf. It will be a stiff setup but it works. Make sure your leaf packs and the S10 packs are the same width. What you'd want to do is take off the whole packs from the S10 in the junkyard, cut the eyeholes off the main leaf, making sure it is shorter than your stock XJ main leaf. Bolt the whole thing up under your stock XJ main leaf.
Here's a write-up, the guy used Dakota leaf packs but it's basically the same.
http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Suspension_Steering_Axles_and_Brakes/Budget_Lift.htm

I'm not sure if it should be from a 2wd or 4wd, but to be safe I might get the ones out of the 4wd. As far as the year goes I think mine were from an early 90s S10. In that write-up the guy said his Dakota leaf packs came out of a '91, I'm trying to remember but someone said there being a difference between ones that came with the Dakotas with SUA and some with SOA, but I'm not sure.

I have used 1 full XJ leaf pack and 2 main and second leafs from a donor XJ, plus i got a rubicon express shackle. For a total of about 5 inches.

I have used 1 full XJ leaf pack and 2 main and second leafs from a donor XJ, plus i got a rubicon express shackle. For a total of about 5 inches.

Yeesh that is a lot of leafs. Is it stiff?

Not to bad. Don't run Sky Jackers shocks. That is the only thing that makes it a little stiff.

Back