• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

air conditioning clutch

bryceyoda

NAXJA Forum User
so i was trouble shooting my air conditioning today. it works great then the compressor kicks off but is still getting power. so i jumped the compressor wire to the battery and i didnt hear it engage and could spin it by hand. then i wiggled around the clutch and started it up again then i seen the clutch was slipping really bad then hooked up. a/c worked great .. i took it around the block and the clutch kicked out again. also i put my screw driver next to the pulley and felt a magnetic pull

so do you think im getting low voltage to the pump or maybe i need to check the gap? or is my compressor failed and is just slipping the clutch??

can you buy a replacement clutch anywhere and how do i tell if its the clutch or the pump that is screwed
any ideas??

so today i pulled off the clutch and the contact points where a little rusty so i took a scotchbrite wheel and cleaned up the surfaces then hosed it off with electo cleaner. took out one of the shims put it back together and it now works awsome.
todal cost Zero dollars!! and no trip to the stealership
also napa said i can get a replacement clutch for around 65 bucks

Last edited:
Back