• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil pan issue

tcf26

NAXJA Forum User
Okay i started my timing cover, oil pan and rear main seal replacements and my oil pump has a rubber donut like thing between the inspection plate and the oil pan which is causing me to not be able to remove the rear two 1/2" bolts. I did search and I couldn't find anyone else who had this issue. I also looked at the write up with pictures and did not see this rubber donut piece. Any ideas what it is or how I can get it out to get those bolts out to get my pan down?

Last edited:
I've seen what you are talking about but only on later model WJ and TJ 4.0's. The XJ 4.0 just has a "half moon" looking steel piece that fits there(at least all 5 of mine do). The only advice I can give you is to try and pry the rubber out of the way in order to get the socket on the bolts.

Other people have talked about rubber gaskets at the inspection plate / oil pan area and all have ended cutting them out with a razor knife because they couldn'ts get to the bolt heads.

Yeah i had though of just cutting around it but i wasn't sure if it served a vital function or not. it is the first one i have seen and i have been through about 6 different 4.0's. just didn't know why it was there to begin with.

It is called the Rear oil pan support. used to pull pan up against pan gasket. if the rubber has hardened, trim it to gain bolt head clearance.
I replaced mine as I believe it is necessary.
On a 2000 4.0 the PN is 53010511AA an about $8.00
Enjoy,
Joe

I just jammed a socket past it to get to the bolts. It ended up cracking at the ends anyhow. Don't know what the purpose of teh rubber is.. maybe a vibration damper for the inspection plate?

It is not needed, you can remove it. I have removed it on my 91, and my 96 when doing the rear main seals. It looks like it was theer to assist with sealing, but with newer style oil pan gaskets it is no longer needed.

It is called the Rear oil pan support. used to pull pan up against pan gasket. if the rubber has hardened, trim it to gain bolt head clearance.
I replaced mine as I believe it is necessary.
On a 2000 4.0 the PN is 53010511AA an about $8.00
Enjoy,
Joe

Ugg - no mention of this part in any of the RMS writeups. Looks like I'm going to have to cut mine. The dealer can't get it until Tuesday either, and RMS day is Saturday. Typical seattle inflation also, the part number referenced above costs $16.

Back