• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear brake line replacement?

HenryKrinkle

NAXJA Forum User
How tough to replace rear brake lines?
I'm looking at an xj whose rear lines are pretty rusty. Does anyone make pre-bent lines or must a shop bend it to fit for $$$? Also, I plan to lift about 4.5" and would likely need an extension anyway, SO... does anyone make a flexible braided full-length line that could run from wherever the line is clean to the drum?
Any tips, suggestions very much appreciated.

You can try these guys: http://www.classictube.com/index.asp and if you google there are others that also make SS brake lines--living in WI I'm sure you only want to replace those lines one time?

Replacing them is not difficult. It can be done on the cheap, a cheap tubing bender and flare kit as well as the flare nut wrench is all you need (that's the special tools)

On the other hand, I got caught out on the road. away from my tools, with leaking lines and bad rear brakes. The shop changed the rear lines from the proportioning valve back, re-did the rear brakes, flushed the system and bled it out. I was out the door at under 350 bucks. This place was a little pricey but the got me going again quick.

don't get a cheap flaring tool, you need double flares get a good one
X2
You really dont want to have to redo the whole line casue of a bad flare from a cheapo flaring tool. ANd take your time doing the bends!

Thanks a bunch guys. Any specific brands or type of tools I should be looking for? Price of these?
Also, how flexible are the hard lines in articulation (provided mounting locations don't hinder)? Could I just do a longer hard line with a bit of slack and then lift without buying braided extenders?

This doesn't sound too complicated, but I know the phrase around here is: "So I JUST have to ..."

Anyone recommend a store for benders, flarers, and line? Autozone, etc..?

Thanks again

Autozone has brakeline.

Double flare kit, flare nut wrench's and a tubing bender can be had on Amazon. A tubing cutter is nice but not a necessity.

Autozone might even hav the tools on a loan/rental basis.

Back