• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rusted d30 fill plug

whatevah

It's Yellah!
ummmm... I was planning on changing all the fluids in my XJ today, and started with the front diff. well, I removed it, drained and cleaned the housing, then cleaned the cover and started to remove the fill plug and... it's rusted onto the cover. any suggestions?

I had tried to remove the plug before I removed the cover, but it wasn't budging.. I figured it'd be easier when I wasn't laying on my side under the XJ. *sigh*

Block the plug from the backside with a scrap of wood and fetch it a good solid whack with a hammer (just one!) The cover flange should not be on the ground when you do this!

Replace with brass - it's 1/2" NPT, and you should have no trouble finding a brass plug at your local hardware store.

If that doesn't do it, you'll want to get a torch (propane is fine) and a candle. Heat the plug (only!) to a dull red, and touch the candle to the join between the plug and cover. The candle will melt and wick in between the plug and the cover. The plug should have expanded due to heat - when you remove the head, the plug tends to cool just a bit faster than the cover, so you get about .0005" of space between the two (which is where the wax goes.) You can remove the plug while it's still hot.

Again, replace with brass. A little Teflon "pipe dope" won't go amiss, either.

5-90

yikes... me and fire, this could be interesting.

thanks guys! 5-90, you are a walking XJ-encyclopedia!

well, I guess the hammer hit, and then the heat did the trick... got it off! thanks

Back