• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

After APN install

Beezle

NAXJA Forum User
I got my APN manifold installed today,

When i first started the jeep after installation it jumps right to 3000 rpm and wont go down at all, I checked and double checked all the electrical and vacuum that I disconnected for the install, which I labeled before I removed anything so i know everything is in the right spot. The install was pretty straight forward and now im in need of a new perspective why it would jump to 3000 and just stay there.

Any ideas would be great!

stats: 99', 4.0, AW4.

anything I might have forgot let me know!

First guess is a leak at the manifold gasket. You did pull both manifolds and replace the gasket, I assume? Did you use the APN gasket, Felpro, other?

i used the APN gasket and coated it with the copper spray gasket. I cant feel any leaks, which doesnt mean much i know. I pulled the IAC just to be curious and its pretty gunked up. Shouldn't the IAC move with the spring pretty easy?

not really, it can, but it is a stepper motor, so you should feel the steps. I would bet on gasket leak, but in case it is a sensor problem...

clean out the IAC, then re-install it. Start the Jeep, rev to 4k, then while holding that rpm turn the ignition switch off. This will cause the computer to "re-learn" all the sensor settings when you turn the truck back on by restoring the defaults.

I do this after replacing any sensors

I went through the EXACT same problem when I installed my APN on my '99. Turned it on and RPM's shot up like crazy. I am willing to bet that the intake manifold is not seated correctly when you installed it. Make sure that the manifold is not "hung" up on the the little "bumps" on the the engine that fit into the shallow holes on the intake manifold. Mine was off by about an eighth of an inch and caused a major vacuum leak that you could not hear or feel. Unfortunately, you will have to loosen everything up and play around with it until it seats properly.

See my old thread....

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=100899

Back