• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ingition coil, could it not work sometimes?

uscgjeep1277

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92 XJ 4.0 4x4 which cuts off after it has warmed up sometimes. This is occouring more frequently every day now. It is like a dead miss. It will be running just fine then die. After it dies I can crank it right back up. Just wondering if the ingition coil could work intermin. if it is going bad. Is there a way to test the coil.

It could be the coil or just as easily (actually more common), the CKP (crank position sensor). Intermittent problems are the worst. Usually, I am happy if it finally quits for good so that I can actually trace it down (hopefully at home). One guy traced it down to his CKP by pouring a glass of cold water on it and then it would run again. You could try "stress testing" the coil and CKP by heating it with a hair dryer or something to try to make that component fail quicker. When a coil fails, it usually develops a break in the coil windings. With a voltmeter, you check for 12V going in. That shows you do have supply to the coil. If no 12v coming out, the coil is bad. If no 12V going in, most likely cause (but not guaranteed) is the CKP.

Back