• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

UCA Mount Wallowed.

Monkey55

NAXJA Forum User
Hey.

As I'm chasing down my death wobble, I found that the upper control arm mount on the frame side is wallowed. It's about 1/16 to 1/8 elongated.

3586221595_d72b7ef58b.jpg

3587023230_a1c50da22e_b.jpg

I searched the OEM Forum, but didn't find fixes for the frame rail side. I'm thinking I need to weld up a plate with the proper hole size or weld up a grade 8 washer. :dunno:

I suspect the other side is also wallowed.

Any suggestions??

Thanks,
E

Sorry for the crappy pics.. my camera couldn't focus being so close.

I had the same problem but the axle mount for the track bar had wallowed out. I was able to hit up Ace Hardware and grab a 1/2 sleeve that replaced the poly bushing one and that allowed me to use a 1/2 bolt instead of the smaller bolt that was there. Drilled out the hole to accept the larger bolt and I haven't had any problems since.

I don't think that will work in your situation since the bushings are (vulcanized?) and are not removable unless you have aftermarket ones.
I hope my lack of help was helpful. :)

Mine is worse than that. I've never had DW.

I took a plasma cutter and opened the outer area of the frame rail to give myself room to plate the hole after I had a ton of cracks develop.

I prepped some steel, drilled the appropriate soze hole for the bolt to go through and a handful of smaller holes and I rosetted it in place after I bolted it in. Held up fine.

I had the same problem but the axle mount for the track bar had wallowed out. I was able to hit up Ace Hardware and grab a 1/2 sleeve that replaced the poly bushing one and that allowed me to use a 1/2 bolt instead of the smaller bolt that was there. Drilled out the hole to accept the larger bolt and I haven't had any problems since.

I don't think that will work in your situation since the bushings are (vulcanized?) and are not removable unless you have aftermarket ones.
I hope my lack of help was helpful. :)

I thought about that, but you're right. The sleeves are not removable since they are stock control arms. If I do remove the sleeve, I think it'll hurt the integrity of the bushing. I need to replace the bushings or get new control arms anyway.

I took a plasma cutter and opened the outer area of the frame rail to give myself room to plate the hole after I had a ton of cracks develop.

I prepped some steel, drilled the appropriate soze hole for the bolt to go through and a handful of smaller holes and I rosetted it in place after I bolted it in. Held up fine.

Do you have any pics Avery?? Of the fix you mentioned above.. Not just some random pics.. :D

Thanks,

E

I thought about that, but you're right. The sleeves are not removable since they are stock control arms. If I do remove the sleeve, I think it'll hurt the integrity of the bushing. I need to replace the bushings or get new control arms anyway.

Do you have any pics Avery?? Of the fix you mentioned above.. Not just some random pics.. :D

Thanks,

E

I do not but it is a SUPER easy fix. Probably less than 45 minutes. One does need an 90 degree die grinder with a sanding pad atttachment and a plasma cutter helps (and a welder).

That chassis was eventually cut up so much it was tossed and now I only have tubework.

Back