• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire/rim sizes

rp4336

NAXJA Forum User
For the summer running a 275/70r/16 tire size(16x8 rim) with 4/10 gears, would like to run a smaller diameter tire size for the winter (6 inch or so), but keep the 16 inch because of the gearing, any ideas for a cheap rim?

but keep the 16 inch because of the gearing

That makes no sense to me. Try AR767s. And a 6 inch smaller diameter would be a 25" tire, which is absurdly tiny.

I'm thinking maybe he meant a 6" wide wheel? Which would still be absurdly tiny considering the stock wheels are 7" wide.

Your gearing will be affected by the outer diameter of the tire, the wheel's diameter will have no affect so long as the tire diameter stays the same. You can run a 33" tall tire on a 15" wheel or a 20" wheel, gearing will not be affeced except maybe by the extra weight of the larger wheel...

X2 overal tire diamiter determines the gearing you should have. My dad explained it to me like this, if you take a pen and roll it one rotation on a counter top it'll maybe roll 1/2" but you do the same thing with a basket ball and it will roll much further, that's the difference that determines the gearing. Diamiter of rim only determines two things. 1. How much sidewall deflection you're giving yourself to play with. and 2. how much surface area you have to polish when detailing your car. :p I would get 15x7 or 8" rims to put your winter tires on. That way when you need a larger footprint to get through snow you can air your tires down and not worry about pinching the sidewall on small bumps.

Last edited:
Back