• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transmission fluid vanished!

95' heep

NAXJA Forum User
a few weeks ago i played with my jeep in my friend's backyard (for like 10 min)

worked just fine, have about 175k miles on the clock. had a bit of delay to engages in gear (what do you except for a 175k miles jeep? i considers this normal) and drove then parked

just yesterday i tried to move it to get on my car trailer (trailer queen) but it didnt move, i checked the fluid dipstick, none! not a fluid on the stick!

no leak anywhere i can see.

im suspecting that the seal on the output on the aw4 broken and pumped all fluid into the transfercase (np231) when i let it to warm up before i even try to move it

any idea? im gonna just refill it and see what happen in next few days (not at my home, a remote locate)

Drain the transfer case into a clean pan and measure how much you get.

Don't think it's possible for both seals to fail and all the fluid be in the t/c. If the rear trans seal fails it will leak out on the ground where the trans. and t/c join. (Unless someone has sealed the hole )I agree check it.. just pull the top fill plug, it will run out if it's overfull.

Good Luck

Nick

Check your coolant. The trans. cooler built into the radiator may have a hole allowing it to mix with the coolant.

i guess my first actions will be remove the transfer case fill plug to see how much come out if any

and check the coolant for any weird colors

other than that i will just fill up and at least get it on my trailer so i can get it home and fix whatever's took a dump

that sounds very odd. I had a high milage jeep and no issues with shifting until the slow leak i had left it close to empty. When it was full, it was fine. To that end, when was the last time you checked the level prior to this incident? Do you get oily film on the rear window?

actually right before i start the jeep, i checked the fluids, the transmission dipstick showed about 1 inch of fluind on it and when i started it and let it warm up then i tried to move it and none then i recheck, no fluid!

actually right before i start the jeep, i checked the fluids, the transmission dipstick showed about 1 inch of fluind on it and when i started it and let it warm up then i tried to move it and none then i recheck, no fluid!

To get an accurate reading, you need to check the transmission disptick while in running and in neutral. It really doesn't matter if you saw some fluid with it shut off, as that reading doesn't matter much.

i just took the XJ home

what i did/found so far

i just go there and pulled the stick and yep no fluid. filled with 1 gallon advance auto parts brand ATF (DIII) and it worked just fine again.

i drove it on trailer, no problem

when i arrived at home, what i noticed that there's ATF spattered on floor of my car trailer. looked at the undercarriage, there's lot of ATF soaked on the crossmember and behind of the pan. im feeling its' either the output seal broke or the sealing on the oil pan's damaged from me attempting to remove the pan but failed and just put the bolts back on

also yes i know that the engine has to be running hot to check the fluid, i checked the dipstick just because i want to be sure there's actually some fluids in there, however after warmed up, all vanished

Back