• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Driveshaft Play

MadPikAvenger

NAXJA Forum User
So I've been chasing down a "clunk clunk clunk" vibration type sound when I accelerate quickly, I checked all my U-joints and they didn't find any play there. Then I noticed some play in my front driveshaft. It's kind of hard to see in the video but you'll get an idea of the location. Is a little play here normal? What is this part of the driveshaft called? If it is a problem how would I go about fixing it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_2vKq0Nq94

That is the slip yoke. It is worn and probably should be replaced. The simplest/cheapest fix is to find a used drive shaft in better condition.

Remove the front drive shaft and see if the clunking is gone. Normally in 2wd the fronts DS is just coasting and you would expect any noises to be in the rear DS. Inspect the motor mounts, the Tcase mount and the rear u-joints. Inspect and the exhaust system for signs of contact with the body, leaf springs, or frame.

That is the slip yoke. It is worn and probably should be replaced. The simplest/cheapest fix is to find a used drive shaft in better condition.

Remove the front drive shaft and see if the clunking is gone. Normally in 2wd the fronts DS is just coasting and you would expect any noises to be in the rear DS. Inspect the motor mounts, the Tcase mount and the rear u-joints. Inspect and the exhaust system for signs of contact with the body, leaf springs, or frame.

x2, and just for grins take a look at the tc linkage and bushing while you are under there.

Thanks for the suggestions...my mounts and u-joints look good so I pulled my front ds for giggles, at least I'll know if it's the culprit or not.

Back