• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What gearing wihtout disassembly?

ChuckstrPT

NAXJA Member #791
So, I've got an '01 on 35's....it doesn't feel as sluggish as my old XJ on 32's...seems to not have stock gearing. Previous owner was under the impression it was stock gearing. The front LP30 has an Aussie Locker, so someone has been in there....the rear is open. Any way to tell what the gearing is without taking the cover off????
Thanks!:D

I read someone elses post where it tells to jack up the rear end and put it in nuetral. Count number of driveshaft turns to one turn of the actual wheel.

I read someone elses post where it tells to jack up the rear end and put it in nuetral. Count number of driveshaft turns to one turn of the actual wheel.

I was thinking something like that...then so if the drive shaft turns 3 1/2 times...you got 3.55's? anything else, and it's not stock?....hmmmm:viking:

dude, just pop the cover and know for sure. you can just read the ringgear where it stamped or etched into the side. most have the ratio broken down. some have the number of pinion teeth and ringgear teeth and you have to do the math. its easy and will cost you 30 bucks maybe. all you need is gearlub, silcone rtv and a can or two of break clean. another good reason to pop the cover is to just inspect everything. things to look for like excive metal shavings, chipped or broken teeth on both the R&P,the lunchbox locker,backlash, tooth ware.

dont mean to offend you if you all ready knew all of that seeing as you have 1000 some posts, hope it helps

Last edited:
If the rear is open look for the metal tag on the diff cover held down by two boltsthat actually hold the cover on.
Stukboy

that won't help you, if it still has one it will say what the stock gearing is.

dude,

dont mean to offend you if you all ready knew all of that seeing as you have 1000 some posts, hope it helps

No offense...don't assume intelligence or experience just by # of posts...although I am an old man...:NAXJA: member #791....been on here for maybe 6 years...and wheeling since '90. I've learned a ton from this forum, as well as turning wrenches and riding trails with our club:wave::cheers:

The only 100% way to know is to pull the cover and count teeth. Gear oil probably needs changed anyway, right? :D

also consider the tires you are running. Depending on what they are the weight of the tire can play a big part in it not feeling sluggish compared to your old 32's

I'd have to think you're as likely to miscount 20 or so teeth, as miscount 3.5 or 4 tire/ds revolutions...

Just sayin'

Robert

if you were really that worried you could use gear marking compound to mark each tooth as you counted it.

also consider the tires you are running. Depending on what they are the weight of the tire can play a big part in it not feeling sluggish compared to your old 32's

Well....previous 265/75x16 MTR's on Moabs.....I'm thinking these Mickey Thompson Radial Claws 35x12.50 on 15x8 black steelies should be a good bit heavier....and should feel slower than the prior set up with stock gearing? Unsprung weight is very important to vehicle dynamics.....:wave:

Well....previous 265/75x16 MTR's on Moabs.....I'm thinking these Mickey Thompson Radial Claws 35x12.50 on 15x8 black steelies should be a good bit heavier....and should feel slower than the prior set up with stock gearing? Unsprung weight is very important to vehicle dynamics.....:wave:
yeah, I'd definatly think you'd be feeling a difference as well. Theres only one way to find out though.

Back