• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tie rod links rubbing

FlameRedXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99XJ with 4.5 RC lift. Total lift is 5.5 with a spacer in front and 3.5 leaf pack + 2" block in rear. It has the lower control arms supplied in the kit and stock upper arms.

Have been having problems since installing RC control arm drop bracket.
First the axle shifted 1" left due to stock track bar, so now I installed one for kits up to 6" and had the rig aligned.

NEW PROBLEM:
Now on cornering I see that the top of the tie rod links rubs on the body - especially when going up a hill and turning right. Since installing the drop brackets I have also had to tighten the top bolts on the links twice now.

My knowledge of front steering/suspensions is very limited, but Im working on that lol...

Thanks!!

Are you sure your not talking about the sway bar links? I can't see where the tie rod could rub anywhere except at the sway bar axle mounts.

I had a shop check it out today and apparently the tie rod bolts were installed with the nut on the inside of the fender wall. The bolt was rubbing the body as a result, so they cut down the bolts and it seems to work.

The springs are leaning forward due to stock unadjustable control arms, so I think once those are replaced it will help.

Thanks!

Back