• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3.5 inch lift.

DoctorPhate

NAXJA Forum User
I want to install 31s on my newly acquired XJ and I was told I'd need about 3 inches of lift. Now I looked around and I've had a mixed bag on answers about whether or not I'll need an SYE with this amount.

Yes I have searched. Also would there be a lower amount of lift I could do and maybe do some fender trimming? I have a pretty tight budget.

you could always do a coil spacers and shackles if your on a budget, or buy a cheap block and u bolts for the rear, think on ebay a 2" coil spacer runs about $30, shackles around $50, and a 3" block runs $30 at my local autozone lol, and as far as a slip yolk it kinda depends on what year you have, i hear pre 96's are less prone to vibes, and 96 and newer are a little more touchy. i have a 00 xj with 5.5in lift and no slip yolk but i dropped my transfercase 1" and i only have vibes at take off, hope any of this info helps :roll:

I want to install 31s on my newly acquired XJ and I was told I'd need about 3 inches of lift. Now I looked around and I've had a mixed bag on answers about whether or not I'll need an SYE with this amount.

Yes I have searched. Also would there be a lower amount of lift I could do and maybe do some fender trimming? I have a pretty tight budget.

With 31" tires, how much lift and trimming is needed depends more on how you plan to use the rig. For street use 31" will fit on a 2" lift with no trimming. Sye need vary rig to rig, some need it at 2" some not till over 4"
I have 3.5" and have only trimmed a little off of the bottom front of the flares and bumper valance is removed, also need to adjust the steering stop to keep the tires from rubbing on the Control arms at full lock. In the rear they do rub the inner wheel well, a 1/2 wheel spacer would fix that. I have 1 " TC drop and no vibes.

I ran 31's with 3.5" lift and no SYE, no problems. Then I got a D44, had to do SYE, CV drive shaft, degree shims and all that. This was on a 99 xj.

I'm running 31s with 3.5 inches of lift on a RE kit. It is actually closer to 4.5 inches. I had some vibes when starting and then I installed a 1in T-case drop and havn't had any vibe problems since. Next project is a SYE so I can get the transfer case back up to stock position.

I'm running 31s with 3.5 inches of lift on a RE kit. It is actually closer to 4.5 inches. I had some vibes when starting and then I installed a 1in T-case drop and havn't had any vibe problems since. Next project is a SYE so I can get the transfer case back up to stock position.

X2, get the RE kit and a transfer case drop and you shouldnt have any problems with 31's.

I got a guy here in my area who has 3 inch coils, and 2 inch blocks aswell as a set of 4 shocks that will work with 3 inch lift he wants 200$ for all of it. However, I was worried about blocks because i hear they can break your leaf springs.

It would be used more for street with mild offroading probably every 2nd weekend or so.

Blocks cause axle wrap. It is better to go with shackles. Rough Country makes a very cheap pair that will work for you.

Blocks suck. And year has something to do with vibrations with a stock driveshaft. Earlier models seem to tolerate it more. I have 3" on my 87, no SYE and I have no vibes at all. I've had a TC drop on but I removed it as it was not necessary. I have a friend with an 00, at 4.5", and it does fine with just a TC drop.

I have 5"s of lift and a TC drop kit. No SYE. No vibs. However, if my rear end drops too much, I am sure the driveshaft will come off my slip yoke. I can either lengthen my driveshaft or go with a SYE and a CV style driveshaft.

I have an 87 waggy, 242 and a d44, running the RE 3.5" on 31's with no trimming and no SYE, and it drives perfectly. absolutely NO vibes. HOWEVER, this is not to say that you will not need either of those, just that it is possible you may not.

Well mine is a 98. I understand blocks suck and I will be getting leafs eventually. As for the axle wrap, my research indicates that only happens after about 3 inchs or more where as mine is only 2 inchs.

Ill probably buy shackles as well to bring it up alittle higher to match the front. What does everyone think of that plan?

Axle wrap is just what it is. As a Mall Crawler it is fine but on the trail it is nothing you really want. Just my .02 Shackles can be bought for as little as $50 on Ebay. Why take a chance at having drive train problems.

Lift is not necessary at all to wheel. An add a leaf would be a better option than that big of shackles, certainly better than that big of blocks.

Grab a 3in aal from rustys or Rc. They'll sag out after a year or two but you said you're gonna upgrade to full packs so its a moot point. Add some v8 zj springs and a 2in spacer and wheel the shiat out f it. I did just that to my mom's 2000, no tcase drop or anything but the lift, no vibes, and with 30in mt's it's almost as good as mine..:eek:

so your saying I should take the front coils off of a V8 ZJ and put a 2 inch spacer on and then an add a leaf setup for the rear and then replace the AAL with a full pack later on when i get a chance?

Back