• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Light

Aaron21

NAXJA Forum User
I had my engine light come on the other day and then start flashing. The owners manuel says severe catalitic converter damage and power loss will happen soon. I am wondering if any one can tell my why this has come on and what I can do to get it fixed. I quite driving my jeep because I am worried.
Thanks

You didn't give your year and engine. You should get the codes pulled at one of the big parts stores. As long as you have good oil pressure and are not overheating, you can still drive it. If your gas mileage goes down, or you notice black exhaust, you have a "running rich" problem which makes fixing more urgent.

I have a 2000 cherokee with 4.0. I had someone say to me my catalitic converter could be plugging up. Is that a possibility

Yes it is, but don't listen to what too many "someones" tell you. Best move, especially on the newer models like yours is to get the codes pulled and report back here. Write down the actual numbers, not just the counter guys interpretation. There are a lot of experts on here who can help at that point. Catalytic converter would NOT be the most likely problem. It can be MANY different thing like your spark plugs need changing to an o2 sensor going bad. Use the self diagnostics of your vehicle to find the problem. But if you don't know how old your spark plugs are, take a look at them. If the gap is over .045", they should be replaced anyway. This is just normal maintenance. New gap should be .035"

A flashing check engine light indicates a serious MISFIRE. Not likely the catalytic converter causing the CEL but yes, a serious misfire can damage your catalytic converter. Get this fixed as soon as possible.

When was the last time spark plugs were changed? If it's been a while or you don't know, change them.

As winterbeater said, get the codes read and post them here for comment. Use the technology your Jeep provides to you.

I found that one of the wires coming off injector # 4 had been chewed through by a mouse or something. It was chewed off right at the connector so I can not splice it together. Can I replace just that piece or do I have to get a whole new wiring harness. I figured this is why the light came on. Any suggestions to go from here.
Thanks

I found that one of the wires coming off injector # 4 had been chewed through by a mouse or something. I have not been driving it much latley. It sat for like a month. It was chewed off right at the connector so I can not splice it together. Can I replace just that piece or do I have to get a whole new wiring harness. I figured this is why the light came on. Any suggestions to go from here.
Thanks

You can repair the harness, no need to replace the whole thing. NAPA or any local upscale (read as Not a parts chain store) can probably get you new connector.

Salvage yard might frown on you cutting a connector with a couple of inches of wire from a harness, but you could ask.

Back