• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rebuilding D44 - Any information?

Porch951

NAXJA Forum User
I got lucky and found a D44 XJ rear in a junkyard not too long ago. I've been driving on it for a while, but i've decided it's going to need a rebuild.

I've had a lot of trouble finding any information on the REAR D44 (tons of info on the front, though).
I bought new wheel bearings, but i can only seem to find the "inner" set (SET10 Timken), and no listings at all for the "outer" set. I haven't pulled an axle yet, so i'm not sure what i'm going to run into...

I also noticed in Autozone's catalog they list an inner and an outer seal. What's up with that?

Excuse the newbish questions, i'm just not so much of a 4x4 guy, so some of this stuff is a little strange to me. Give me a 9" and i'll fix it! A d44? :helpme:

One final question: Eventually i'm going to Aussielocker this guy--will the limited slip carrier hold an Aussie, or do i need to find an open carrier? (Their website doesn't specify)

Thanks!

If memory serves me right (disclaimer--it doesn't always) you must have an open carrier to install a lunchbox locker.

I can't help you with info on the D44, but definitely do a search.

I bought new wheel bearings, but i can only seem to find the "inner" set (SET10 Timken), and no listings at all for the "outer" set. I haven't pulled an axle yet, so i'm not sure what i'm going to run into...

I also noticed in Autozone's catalog they list an inner and an outer seal. What's up with that?

Read post #12 in This Thread for answers to your Timken / AutoZone questions.

The only locker offered for a Dana 44 with the factory LSD is the power-trax no-spin. If you wanted to use an Aussie you would need to switch to a open carrier.

You should be able to find the FSM for the Dana 44 if you go to the Dana Expert site - www.dana.com, and follow the links. I'm sure it will come up for it.

If you absolutely can't find it, I should have an electronic copy somewhere, and can send it to you if I do. However, you'll have to give me a bit - I'm about to go run some errands and do work...

Read post #12 in This Thread for answers to your Timken / AutoZone questions.
There we go! That answers all my questions. Thanks!! I've actually been (unsuccessfully) searching for that info for quite some time :)

Thanks to everyone else for the info on the aussie...good to know!

Back