• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hood vents VS. hinge spacers

David B.

NAXJA Member #490
So I have been doing a lot of searching on the forums about various hood vent setups. They look really good and I am aware of their function. Ultimately I went the cheap(er) route and bought and installed some 3/4" spacers for the hood hinges.

My question is... is the heat dissipation any better with the hood vents or am I getting basically the same affect with the cowl style hood?

Thanks in advance.

I'm no expert... But if you are moving at a faster rate of speed I can see the hood spacers or cowl being more effective. For slower trails / rocks the open hood vents allow heat to rise away. I could be wrong but I think it depends on what the application is.

I would think your 3/4 spacers would do just fine in both cases.

I opted for a Crowl Hood Scoop with a 11" Circle Opening in the Hood. Why?

The Crowl goes back to the the rear of the Hood covering the Opening. The Top of the Crowl overlaps over the Crowl Vent by a couple of inches allowing water to go down the Vent instead of into my Engine Compartment.

Before I had the Crowl Scoop, I had a Fan Mounted to the Opening on the underside of the Hood. However, water flowed down onto the Engine causing some Ignition problems. One of which was a cracked Accel Coil. While I had the Fan turned off, I watched the Flow of Air. Under 30 mph the Air flowed out the Opening. Over 30 mph, the Air Flowed into the Opening. I had to turn off the Fan when I was going over 30. I removed the Fan and covered the Opening with the Crowl and have had no problems with the Ignition when it rains.

I have one like this one only mine is white: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hood...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Mine measures up the same at 37" L, 22" W, 2" H inches.

Hope this helps.

SANY0991.jpg

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Here's the info so when it goes off Ebay someone can contact them if they choose to go this direction.

Universal Cowl Scoop $54.00 Shipping: US $22.00

* one universal cowl scoop.
* Dimensions: 37" L, 22" W, 2" H inches.
* Made of hand laid fiberglass and smooth gel coat surface finish.
* All scoops are brand new and never been installed.
* Made from 5-6 layers of hand-laid fiberglass.
* All scoops are made from high-quality fiberglass .
* Satisfaction Guaranteed. If you are unsatisfied with this product when you receive it simply send it back for a full refund (excluding shipping).

# No shipping to PO BOX and international addresses.
# Please allow 4-8 days for item to arrive.
# Item will be shipped via FedEx Ground.
# Tracking number can be provided upon request.

Race Composites
Phone: (727) 488-6982
Email: [email protected]

2vuc64x.jpg

Thanks for the info. I might just stick with the spacers for now. I'm not sure I want to cut my jeep. I am going for the clean, stock look with this jeep and I have been able to build it without cutting a single piece of sheet metal.

What I did was cut holes in the center area of the hood using a Greely Press.
When our four wheelin' I leave them exposed, when street driving I cover them with material used in making those magnetic signs.
Let me find a picture....

If you're trying to keep a stock look, return the spacers and just remove the weatherstripping at the back of the engine compartment. Then fold down the lip beneath that. I have that and a small vent on each side at the front of the hood, and in wintertime I can see the heat practically pouring out after shutting off the engine.

Just look at where the hood is pointing when you are sitting in the drivers seat. That is why I went with hood vents. Having the hood decide that it was happier in the cab than out during a collision is not my idea of fun.

plus I don't like the look of the hood with spacers

"sick flex bro."

I'm a Sis. LOL Yes, some Women like talking Shop, too.

That's my Son in The Passenger Seat. I'm Driving.

How did you mount that cowl scoop

How did you mount that cowl scoop

I used 4 Stainless Flathhead Screw-bolts with Poly Faucet Grommets and Stainless Washers and Nuts on all 4 Corners. I did this so that I could remove the Crowl at will.

Just look at where the hood is pointing when you are sitting in the drivers seat. That is why I went with hood vents. Having the hood decide that it was happier in the cab than out during a collision is not my idea of fun.

plus I don't like the look of the hood with spacers

Good point, didn't think of that. Just hope I never get in a front end collision:)

Good point, didn't think of that. Just hope I never get in a front end collision:)

7-7-02_jeep_1.JPG

That's why I have this really strong Front Bumper from Logans:

http://www.logansmetals4x4.com/id9.html

You'll see my XJ Featured. LOL

You'll also find them on Ebay as Jeep Cherokee XJ Front Winch Bumper by lmp4x4parts and are usually cheaper on Ebay as they are on sale there.

They also produce Rear Bumpers and Rear Bumper Tire Carriers.

Last edited:
7-7-02_jeep_1.JPG

That's why I have this really strong Front Bumper from Logans:

http://www.logansmetals4x4.com/id9.html

You'll see my XJ Featured. LOL

You'll also find them on Ebay as Jeep Cherokee XJ Front Winch Bumper by lmp4x4parts and are usually cheaper on Ebay as they are on sale there.

They also produce Rear Bumpers and Rear Bumper Tire Carriers.
That sucks, glad you apparently came out of it ok. :)

It probably depends on speed, hot air will escape out under the back of the hood fine if you arn't moving fast. At speed the back of the hood becomes a high pressure area (hence the old cowl induction hoods), conversely the front of the hood is a low pressure area. So to remove heat when you're moving, it would be best to have hood vents toward the front. If the only time you have overheating problems is when you're slowly crawling along the trail, spacers should work fine, perhaps better as the opening is higher up.

Back