• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's t-case skid

FlexdXJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I got mine installed yesterday and it seems to HANG LOW!!!!!! Its for a 242 and I have a 231 I'm only running 235/75's right now and it looks like its gonna drag a lot. Anyone ran one on the trail with little to no lift?Just wondering how much it drags. Its better than nothing and if all else fails I'll trade it to someone with a 231 skid! :D

I got mine installed yesterday and it seems to HANG LOW!!!!!! Its for a 242 and I have a 231 I'm only running 235/75's right now and it looks like its gonna drag a lot. Anyone ran one on the trail with little to no lift?Just wondering how much it drags. Its better than nothing and if all else fails I'll trade it to someone with a 231 skid! :D
I had an '01 XJ with the 242 and it did hang a lot lower than I would have liked. They design it that way due to the lower clearance of the 242 over the 231. I had a 6" lift and 33s and it still got tagged a couple times on the trail. I now have a '96 with the 231 and I just installed the rusty's skid... MUCH BETTER! If you have the 231 I would definitely go with a 231 skid.

IT's made to work with the 242 or a Tcase drop. I used to have a skid row, which is basically the same thing as rusty's and it hung down lower than I would have liked it to. I dealt with it for a while, I think it only really hung me up once, but did the job of protecting the Tcase pretty well!! Then I went with a warn one, which isn't quite as strong, but much higher clearance! It holds up pretty well but now my Xmember is pushed way up (not due to the skid...just due to wheeling) and the frame rail is pushed in a tiny bit at the mount. I'm alright with it though. The Tcase is all good! There are some pretty nasty gouges in the plate, which tells me if I didn't have it, I would have needed a new Tcase by now.

I realize why its clearanced since the 242 is a bigger case i was just wondering how often it would rub(depending on terrain of course) I think I will just trade it to someone with a 231 t-case skid.

If you're on 33s or larger I would probably just run it. I was on 31s when I had mine and it took some good hits and I think only hung me up once....and it probably wasn't really the skid that hung me up, I just got high centered on it...going where one probably shouldn't try to go on 31s, haha!!

I ended up hitting mine all the time and bending it up.
Its not work the money.

You need to get one for a NP231. Some manufacturers will tell you it's one size fits all, and it's true if they give you a NP242 skid but that's bad if you're running a NP231 because you're eating up ground clearance when you don't have to. If you switch to a NP231 skid, you should gain about .75 of ground clearance back.

Back