• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Dana turdy polishing job

dan89XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I decided to do some Dana turdy polishing.. and I thought I'd share my achievements with you all.

First.. I have a 89 XJ with a vacuum disco dana 30. I wanted to upgrade, and get rid of the disco feature. That was a simple upgrade.. I grabbed some 297x ujoint shafts out of a ZJ at the local wrecking yard.

turdy%20006s.JPG

I got a pic of the old shafts, new ones went in right away.. before I could take a picture

At the time, I decided to go ahead and add a front locker as well. I decided on the Aussie locker.

turdy%20007s.JPG

Installation was easy.. hardest part was reading the instructions. It would be better if the instructions were application specific to the D30 only. I was jumping back and forth in the manual. Otherwise.. it was detailed.

I also bought a Rockcrusher cover to go with my locker install. I bought a package deal from nothridge4x4.com(a sponsor of NAXJA). I'd like to say they had good customer service, especially with email.

I got the cover raw, bare, in a box filled with peanuts. I got grade 8 bolts, a tube of black RTV, and a niffy sticker ! I decided I needed to finish it. I have powder coating equipment, so I powdered coated it.

turdy%20001.jpg

The Cover got Argent Silver powder with a clear coat for better UV and abrasion protection. I also powdered the bolts and fill hole plug.

turdy%20002s.JPG

Here, I did a little bit of free hand painting.. I used some car paint - Black Acryllic Enamal. This part is not powder coated. I just bushed on some paint on the letters and around it.

turdy%20004s.JPG

pic with no bolts/plug.

turdy%20009s.JPG

The finished product ! Project Dana turdy polishing completed.

Well, I do have a few loose ends to finish - cover plate for the disco, etc..

If you guys would like a cover like mine, send me a PM and we'll talk.

:cheers:

um... is that rusty looking stuff on the carrier rust? cause if it is, it shouldnt be

I'm polishing my turdy too.

You spent a lot less money. I'll probably break before you do too. Spiffy.

What powder coating equipment do you have? Is it inexpensive? That could be nifty..

seals.jpg

I tried all of these before I bought a non disconnect housing. ;)

Speaking of which.. I need to get a gear install done soon. :)

-C

No, one of them worked and is still working - but I'm not sure which one it is. clean-rc could tell you - as thats his garage and he did the install. :)

-C

There are two seals when converting to a 1 piece shaft... one says "early" and the other says "late", although I'm not sure exactly what year they switched. The Early style is a National #471354 which is a 2.062" tube diameter, the Late style is a National #471763 which is a 2.0" tube diameter.

HTH, John

Cal: I bought all my powder coating equipment though eastwood.com.. prices arent bad I dont think. Its a hobby thing.. takes time and patience to do it. 2 things that set me back are, the oven size I have, and the cost of stripping items to bare metal. But there are alot of benifits to power coating..

chrslefty: I got a tip that the stock seal will work fine. I'll be watching my axles to see if it leaks. I hope it'll work.. other wise I'll be changing seals.

For those who have seal PN's how am I gonna get a parts monkey to get this seal for me ? Perhaps there is a specific application that the seal goes with ?

Back