• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

flet tow question

cardboard

NAXJA Forum User
I am running a 91 xj with 4.5" lift 33" swampers and lockers at both ends. I have removed both front and rear swaybars completely, including all brackets on the HP30. Will the Jeep track straight behind my truck without swaybars while being flat towed or will dance all over the highway.:dunno:
Thanx cardboard

other things to worry about more like your output bearing which to my knowledge is starved of lube when flat towing. also, lockers will not help

other things to worry about more like your output bearing which to my knowledge is starved of lube when flat towing. also, lockers will not help
Output bearing of what, the case?

The lockers aren't getting any torque to them, so it should be just like he is in 2wd.

As to the OP, I don't see how swaybars keep you tracking straight when you drive it, as it doesn't have to do with steering. You'll experience more body roll.

Thanx Begster, that was my thought all along but a buddy told me all the body roll would make it not track correctly. I have flat towed this Jeep a couple times before but it was on 31's with front sway bar connected.
As far as bearings drying out, have you looked behind 50% of the campers on the road now days.
Cardboard

I have towed mine for a couple of years now (San Diego to Oregon) on all types of roads. No problems towing without sway bars and no issues with output shaft. I run 5.5" RE lift with Goodyear MTR's. Mine is an automatic and tow it with t-case in "Neutral" and the trans in "Park".

The t-cases available in XJ were NP207 and NP228 from 84-87. NP231 and NP242 from 87-2001. Flat towing a 231 or 242 XJ is explained in the Cherokee owners manual. I've towed mine over 2000 miles in the last 2 years and everything is fine. Just had trans and t-case fluids changed, all is well.

The D300 was in the CJ's, but never original equipment in an XJ.

Again towing with no sway bar no problem!!

Back