• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC / OBA lines

53guy

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of adding OBA and have found a new hydra to kill. In my way of routing the belt and sitting where the compressor should be are my AC lines. I am keeping my AC and will just need to re-route them. What is involved in re-routing the lines? Can the lines coming from the condenser be re-bent in the direction that I need them? They appear to be attached to the condenser and not bolted on so I don't think that just removing them is a possibility. If I am to rebend them, I'm affraid of cracking a line or weakening the lines enough to have them burst on me when I run my AC. If they cannot be rebent, can I cut them and just solder them in the positions that I need? Will the solder be able to hold up to the pressures that I am to see in my AC system? What have other people done to the AC lines that have worked for them in the past? What are my options other than just removing the lines and AC completely? For reference, the solder would need to be able to withstand pressures in the range of 490 psi for extended periods of time, as that is the upper limit of acceptable discharge pressure from the compressor. It is possible, although not likely to see pressures in excess of that, so keep that in mind as well. I appreciate all the help!

I was looking to do that too, but it was almost too much trouble. Need a custom lower radiator hose, bracketry ($$$$ at the dealer) and you'd have to either find a custom belt adjuster or somehow fab one up using the rubi stuff.

Does anyone have an AC condenser handy? Or more specifically, does the condenser have fittings on it or are the hard lines welded/soldered onto it? My Jeep is 30 minutes away from me at the moment and I can't look and don't remember. If it does have fittings, would anyone know what size the fittings would be? Anyone HVAC qualified who would know? I'm thinking that I may be able to just make some more AC hose for cheaper and easier than cutting and soldering the hard lines and stretching the flex lines.

Back