• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

after being hard on the brakes it drops my tranny into neutral?

latenights

NAXJA Forum User
1996 XJ 4.0HO 166,6xx miles auto (aw4?). So today I was coming up to a light and it decided to turn yellow on me and i was stuck between the to go or not to go question. I went on my brakes kinda hard to slow down and when i went to go again my tranny was in neutral so all it did was rev up when i pressed on the gas. after about a second or 2 it dropped it into drive when it was still at 1500 rpms (not bad). When i got to my house I did it again to see if it would drop it into neutral again which it did. Does anybody have an idea to what it could be thanks.

i would think the sudden stop surged all the fluid forward in the pan and maybe that affected the gear you were in? check your fluid level

If the transmission is physically shifting itself into neutral you have problems with your mounts and/or linkage.

However, I'm with the others and you need to check your fluid level.

If the transmission is physically shifting itself into neutral you have problems with your mounts and/or linkage.

That is what his title says it is doing, but after reading the thread body it seems lif all he is doing is pressing the pedal to get it to catch.

Back