• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stalls, Sputters, Tested a Few Things, Not The Usual Suspects

XJoshua

NAXJA Forum User
Well Ive spent some time searching, yes, no kidding, I did. Lots of the searches helped, but in the end didnt solve the problem, just covered up. Main problem is, it bucks around the 40-45MPH range, dunno the RPM range, since I dont have a tachometer. Some of the other things it does is stalls on fast stops and stalls on slow turns. Well those matched in the searches, and the ending results were the EGR Valve.

So today after driving in "Power" mode for maybe three months I flipped it into "Comfort" and have yet to have any problems. Has this ever been something you have ever heard of?

As for things Ive tested: TPS, CPS, MAP, MAT, and CTS. So that leads me to thing that the filter inside the tank is getting clogged, which is weird since the bucking is at 40-45 and not all over. Also that the EGR Valve is going bad, but I clossed the vacumm line to try and test that and no change. The fuel pump is fine I hear it turn on when in the ON position. Frame rail fuel filter is brand new. I took the ignition control module to the dummies at autozone, and they said it was broken at one store, and cant be tested at another store. Also had the ignition coil tested, and that showed up fine. Im trying to keep everything low cost, since Im in the middle of a stroker build up and dont want to waste money on my warn out engine.

So just some insight on what might be the real problem.

As for specs they are as followed:
1988 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer
214,XXXmiles
Dana30/35, AW-4, NP-242, 3.55:1 Gears, Catless, DynoMat S/T, Banks Headers, TG 235/75R15

That should cover it.

Well got around to testing the EGR Valve. The spring is still very strong after pulling on the pushrod with a roach clip. I tested the seal with plastic and no suction occured in the closed position. So any new ideas.

Also it still sputters in comfort mode.

That is one of the next things to test. I dont have anything to test this with though, so I have to go to the bone heads at AutoZone. Im assumming its good because when I replaced the fuel filter I had to relieve the pressure, and fuel squirted pretty far, when I pushed in the pin on the valve.

I sort of have a hesitation as well, except mine seems to be in the driveline, and its impossible to explain online, but it happens around 45-50mph, but the tach doesnt move, so it isnt a engine sputter, but sort of like a hesitation in the rear it seems like. Does yours do this as well?

Nope, well it could be driveline, but like I said I dont have a tach. The best description for mine while at speed would be just a complete lose of power quick, and then restored.

Do your gages fall when the loss occurs?
does it do it when you are 100% off the throttle?
My 88 does this only once in a while liek every 2 weeks,
Is there some sort of fuel injection control chip or sensor?

No problems at WOT, happens maybe 3-4 times a week when at 1/4 throttle. Gauges stay the same all the time, the fuel gauges dives like a bomb when I floor it, but thats because my tank doesnt have a baffle in it.

No speed chips installed, cruise control doesnt work, but thats not problem.

Well turns out it is one of the usuall suspects. The CPS measures .3v instead of the .5v it should have.

So now Im going about finding out how to replaced. Chiltons just covers one of the ways to test it which was if under 1k ohms its fine, well that didnt help since another site said 275ohms is fine, so I tried test two with cranking and that concluded it.

So if anyone has a write up or a breif statement on how to replace the CPS go on ahead and post it up. Thanks.

Back