• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to get out stubborn door pins?

luketrash

NAXJA Forum User
My driver's side door sags a bit because the bushing on the door pin has worn through. I bought the replacement pins, but I'm having no luck removing the old door pin.

I soaked the door pins for a couple of days with PB Blaster and then I used a drift and a BFH to whack upwards on the bottom of the door pin. It won't budge. What ended up happening is that I started to mushroom out the door pin, so I quit.

Is there a better way to get the door pin up and out of the hinge? I didn't physically take the door off of the jeep and would prefer not to so that I'll keep the original alignment correct, but I do have the torx bit to get it off if I have to.

Thanks for any help.

I searched for "door pins" and didn't turn up anything, so I'm sorry.

Mine might have been replaced in the past. There is no plastic spacer on the lower one. It definitely is seated from the top. The write-up you show, has the guy installing the pin upside down from what mine is.

I'll probably purchase a clamp press kit like this:

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=1689&itemType=PRODUCT

which will mean no drilling, cutting, etc...

Yeah, sounds like yours was already replaced. I did the top one on mine last weekend. Hardest part was cutting it out then getting the new one in. Only with the new pin I didn't remove the teeth right off.. I just kept re sizing until it fit as I didn't want to lose the press fit.

The problem with using that tool on the stock hinge pins is that they were put in from the bottom then the top was mushroomed out. The whole design is just stupid and the hinges should bolt to both the door and fender. But if yours is like the kit I used it shouldn't be a problem to press it out with that tool.

I'll have to examine it further. The pin I'm trying to get out looks like the bottom is tapered to be smaller and the top is flat (like the Help! brand pins.) The top hinge pin looks like a carriage bolt (domed top) However, all that stuff is rusty. Maybe the only way to get it out is to zing it with the dremel and push both ends out. However, if that's not the case, I'll be up the river without a paddle if I cut it in half like that.

Hammering up on my pin actually made my door shut better. I probably deformed the bushing or something. I'll get in there with a mirror and flashlight to inspect everything for certain.

Someone mentioned using a 1/4" socket extension down there because it'd keep itself centered on the pin. The pin actually sticks through the hinge about 1/2" down low.

Well, the help pin is tapered at one end a bit, but the rod is the same diameter until you get to the head where it has the splines. So, if it is in fact a help pin there I don't think cutting it would help much. You may get the bottom half out, but I think you will have more problems with the top part. Perhaps the previous person that replaced the pin didn't shame the splines down as shown in that link, but instead just forced it in.

From your description it does sound like a help pin. Is there a clot for like a snap ring on it? BTW, what are you replacing it with?

Back