• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear 4 link question

Stukboy

NAXJA Forum User
I have seen a couple 4 link rears and am wondering how you determine the the coil springs height vurses(sp) the leaf spring height (ie. 6" coils to ? leaves).
I have a rear already set up for coils and am planning on putting it on my XJ.
Thanx for the help,
Stukboy

I have seen a couple 4 link rears and am wondering how you determine the the coil springs height vurses(sp) the leaf spring height (ie. 6" coils to ? leaves).
I have a rear already set up for coils and am planning on putting it on my XJ.
Thanx for the help,
Stukboy

Really for the rear there is no set measurement as far as "these will give you X" of lift" because every setup is drastically different. Your best bet would be to determine the approximate weight of the rear and get springs that will work for you that way. There is also the desired spring rate to take into account, a long soft spring might give you the same lift as a short firm one, but it'll be more unstable in corners and off camber. Really at that point it comes down to driver preference.

If you don't have a set of scales that will measure that much weight (I don't) grab a set of coils that you know the lbs/in rate on and set them under each corner (be sure to use a safety chain or something to ensure everything goes without incident). Then for example if you have 250lb/in springs and they compress 2" you know you have about 500lbs of weight on that corner, if they compressed 2.25" you'd have 562.5lbs on that corner, and so on.

Hope that helps some.

When I talked to Clayton a while back about his rear coil conversion he said that stock front xj coils give about 6" and he was using 2" lift front coils for his 8" coil conversion.

Back