• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 Cherokee Laredo

88LaredoMann

NAXJA Forum User
Im planning on getting a stock 88 Cherokee Laredo off of a buddy of mine and I was wondering if anyone could give me a site to get as much info on them as I can. I am new at this by the way.

It runs fairly decent. The water pump wasnt sealed right and its got a little door pannel rust on it. The body looks good and it runs good without reving it. When I do it overheats quickly. There is radiatior fluid all over the place and I think the water pump has something to do with it. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated..

Nubie(for now) Chad

Go out and buy "High-Performance Jeep Cherokee XJ Builder Guide" it has everything in it.

As for the overheating... I dunno, my overheating problems have been solved by flushing, and new high flow rate water pump.

The 88XJ has a closed cooling system. A weak point is that the coolant overflow tank along the firewall on the passenger side may spring a leak, or the cap may lose its seal. If this happens, the engine will overheat and pour coolant out through the cap. Replacing the reservoir and/or cap should fix that (assuming that's the problem). You can also modify the cooling system into an open system (typical radiator set up) to fix this common problem as well.

Back