• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical Issues

Chippo

NAXJA Member #1233
Have a 92 Cherokee with 160k on it. Replaced a starter within the last 6 monthes. Replaced the battery 2 - 3 weeks ago and something is draining the new battery. Charged battery overnite and battery was near dead the next day. Any ideas of where to start looking for the item draining the battery? Jeep seems to be running fine otherwise.

Thanks in advance.......

Charge the battery for 24 hours. While its charging clean all cable ends and renew your grounds. When you hook up the battery put a 12v test light in series with the battery and one cable end. If the test light glows bright you have a heavy draw that is draining your battery. There might be a small, dim glow from the radio's channel memory circuit, but that would be normal.

If there is no bright light then hook up the cable end to the battery and check your static voltage between the posts, looking for 12v, then start the engine and you are looking for 13.6 + volts, but not super high like 15 or 16.

Repost for add'l help. Electrical issues are not my strong point.
Battery measures 12 volts off and 14 when running. Starter large posts measure 12 volts when not running, not sure if I should be getting this reading with motor off.
When I put the black cable on the battery usually there's a faint spark on contact. The spark on contact now is much larger than normal. Definitly something is draining this new battery. Battery was new last month.
In need of help as to where to go from here.

Thanks,

Repost for add'l help. Electrical issues are not my strong point.
Battery measures 12 volts off and 14 when running. Starter large posts measure 12 volts when not running, not sure if I should be getting this reading with motor off.
When I put the black cable on the battery usually there's a faint spark on contact. The spark on contact now is much larger than normal. Definitly something is draining this new battery. Battery was new last month.
In need of help as to where to go from here.

Thanks,

12v static and 14v engine running good. Yes, 12v at the main cable on the starter all the time is correct.

That little spark when reconnecting the negative terminal indicates a draw--something is using power. The question to be answered is it just a small miliamp draw, such as the radio's memory circuit, or is it a major draw draining your battery.

Hook up a 12v test light in series between the battery terminal and the cable end. If normal there should be no light or only a dim glow. If it lights up bright then there is too much of a draw and that is what is draining the battery.

If the light glows you can start pulling relays and fuses one at a time. If the light goes out or dims, then that particular circuit has a problem. Simply a case to trial and error.

I used a test light nite and blew the blub. Upon further investagation the bulb was rated for 2.5 volts. I will have to pick up a test bulb somewhere like radio shack to help with this process. I was hoping that the reading of 12 volts on the starter main contacts was not normal, with the engine off. Damn......
Heading off to some car races tonite, time to get this fixed!!! It's taking room in my garage and I'm trying to finish a train horn install on my Dodge.

You can use a 12v tail light bulb, single element, and just solder a couple leads on it.

Back