• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission and Transfer Case Fluid?

BigMike80

NAXJA Forum User
Something is wrong with my search...it wont come back with any results no matter what I try to search for. Im changing the oil today and would like to change the transmission and transfer case fluids as well.

Im pretty sure I need to use Dex III in the transmission but what about the transfer case?

I have a 2001, 4.0, auto with np231 transfer case.

Thanks for any help and sorry for asking something that is probably covered every week.

Dextron III in the AW4 and NP231.

Note: You may not be able to find Dex III as Dex is up to like V or VI now but it is backwards compatible.

If you really want to use Dex III, buy Trick Shift (synthetic I think?) it is Dex III.

i dont believe that dex VI (6) is backwards compatable to dex II/III. but thats just hear/say

I'm doing a SYE on my XJ with a 231 next weekend. A friend of mine was saying he switched his trans and t-case fluid and used Mobil 1 Full synthetic ATF. I read the back of the bottle and it has a disclaimer that it is a suitable replacement for anything requiring Dextron. I know this stuff is expensive, but would that be good for putting in my 231 with around 250k miles?

Back