• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pressed bolts on sway bar, need to remove

dorsalfin

NAXJA Forum User
I finally got some JKS disco's for the ole XJ.

I got everything off, except for the pressed bolts. I beat em, I cussed em, I gave up and had a beer.

I have no grinder, I have limited skills beyond changing tires and oil, and a limited tool availability at the moment ( have sockets n such).

How do I get these stubborn bolts out? Is there an easy cheap way? I've tried the BFH trick, no dice.

I'm kind tired of the "on a boat" feeling with the sways off, as I broke the links on my last wheeling trip.

Any help would be......well helpful

I soaked them in PB blaster and used a 3 jaw puller got them outta there pretty easy, you can rent them from a parts store. just be sure to get a quality puller i bent the crap out of the cheap ones.

It will work fine.

I just beat mine into submission with a regular hammer... took a while though. Once you have em done though you will be happy.

I use my ball joint press.

7.jpg

I had someone hold a large sledge hammer on the backside of the bracket, just below the bolt head, then I used another sledge and one good wack, done.

By having someone hold the second hammer on the back side, tightly against the bracket, it removes the "springiness" to the bracket when you hit the bolt. It also helps to keep from bending the bracket.

PB Blaster and a large hammer will get it out. Don't be afraid to hit it HARD. It will come loose. No need to make a trip to rent something.

So you drilled a hole into the torx fitting? How far?

Drilled until the head came off...which was basically flush with the outside of the bracket the thing is pressed in. Had kind of a concave 'pit' into the remaining bolt shank, but didn't actually drill into the bracket.

Back