• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front end is really pissing me off

SINCITY192

NAXJA Forum User
88 cherekee inline6 4.0 L everything stock exept axel u joints (change at different times maybe months apart)
I noticed while driving today that when i hit a bump the front, sort of rolls around a bit, I feel as if something is going to brake really need help.
also when i put it into reverse i hear a thump sound.
Im hoping some of the experts had similar problems and can tell me what i need.
thanks in advance guys!

You need to crawl under the front end with a strong light, while a good friend sits in the driver's seat and moves the steering wheel slowly from one side to the other.

Look for anything loose/worn out.

As for the clunk, don't forget to check your motor and trans mounts, u-joints, etc.

i hear this alot so this might be a dum question but i dont know the answer so here it go's, when im under the viehicle and my partners turning the wheel the car has to be on right?

just asking because i heard never to go under a car thats on!!!
but i cant turn the steering wheel if the car is off so it has to be on to do the test right?

i hear this alot so this might be a dum question but i dont know the answer so here it go's, when im under the viehicle and my partners turning the wheel the car has to be on right?

just asking because i heard never to go under a car thats on!!!
but i cant turn the steering wheel if the car is off so it has to be on to do the test right?

If you can't turn the wheel with it off, yes, it has to be on. Put it in park, emergency brake on, chock the wheels if it makes you feel safer. Big question is: Do you have trusted friends? Don't do this with your girlfriend after you pissed her off at the wrong time of the month. Lay straight under the front instead of from the side to keep your body out from the tire path. Friend should also be relatively sober.

lol you guys really help out alot thanks and i will definately check the sway bar bushing and so on, i will get back to you with pics of anything i dont know and the info thanks.

Or you can jack the front end off the ground (use safety stands). Once the weight is off the wheels, they will turn easier with the engine off.

Or you can jack the front end off the ground (use safety stands). Once the weight is off the wheels, they will turn easier with the engine off.

But without the resistance of the wheels on the ground you won't be able to see loose components.

You can turn the key to the ON position and turn the wheel without the engine running, and its good for the biceps.

But without the resistance of the wheels on the ground you won't be able to see loose components..

You can still tell quite a bit. I should have added to have the jack stands under the axle and not body so the suspension is still loaded. Off the ground is how you would normally check ball joints and wheel bearings anyway.

You can still tell quite a bit. I should have added to have the jack stands under the axle and not body so the suspension is still loaded. Off the ground is how you would normally check ball joints and wheel bearings anyway.

Agree on the ball joints and bearings.

ok guys i did as u said i left the car off and turn back and forth the first time i turned all the way to the ? i heard a snap or a pop sound then i stop and told my partner to turn the wheel to see if i could see what the noise was and it never happened again while i was looking i didnt notice any odd behavior of the suspensions but if u ask me things look pretty messy down there
also i notice on the drivers side one of the u-joint caps was almost out looked as if it been like that since i change it, it even chiped the screw for the caliper but not any thread (thanks god) even some metal where the bolt goes in but not enough to interfere with the threading of the bolt. i guess the u-joint sticking out most of scrapped up some metal on the caliper bolt and part of the metal for the bolt hole.
I took everything out and then i pressed the u-joint in all the way and i noticed one of the clips must of fell out and since this was the last job i did on the jeep. i would remember if i left a clip out for the joint. anyway i had another new joint in the trunk and i took a clip from that and put it in and pressed both sides, i also, since i change the steering box prior to the u-joint i change, the bushing on the tre-rod underneath the pitnam arm was bad i change the bushing for that and i decided to take some pics so u guys can tell me what u think i need to change or if its still good or not
most of the bushing felt hard things like the tre-rod bushings felt mushy but the new one felt firm so that means all should feel firm right?
should i trade out all the bushing for at least the tre-rod and see what happens from there.

Last edited:
anybody got any ideas, im stumped nothing seems to be causing anything to show any slow movement under there since i fixed the u-joint ill drain the diff fluid and see what happens when i drive it
questio? how does the bad bushings feel?
Need to know so i can replace whats not good

Back