• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

identify hitch & nutinsert Q

snail

NAXJA Forum User
i recently acquired a rear aftermarket hitch from a fellow NAXJA user for $25, but we're unsure of the brand. he said it may have been a hidden hitch. can anyone confirm?

P9150077-1.jpg

P9150075.jpg

P9150078.jpg

also, what is the best way to go about mounting this, as i currently have no hardware for it? i thoroughly read through the search results on this but came up with a number of opinions. its going on a 96 with currently no nut-inserts on either side.

i mainly want this hitch for a cheap but effective means of rear recovery and it probably will never see a trailer attached. what installation option do you think is best:

1: acquire the ridiculously expensive nut-inserts for both sides (could i then just use high grade hardware from the store or would i still need to get manufactorer hardware?)
2: get nut-inserts just for the passenger side and try to get the hardware kit from the hitch manufactorer

thanks guys

Get the nutserts. It makes life so much easier.

if you have fab skills you can make your own plates by welding nuts to a strip of flat stock that has the holes drilled into the same pattern as the hitch and framerail holes.

you could get the hitch hardware(nut plates that you fish in the end of the frame), it doesnt have to come from the same company as the hitch.

IIRC, i got nutsert plates from the dealership for my 89 for 20$ a side. i didnt find that to be ridiculous

How much can the nut strips be?

Do you know how much simpler those factory nut strips will make installing that hitch? Believe me, you will think those nut strips are cheap if you try to get by without them. C'mon, how much can they be?

My dealership charged me $18 a piece. I recommend getting them. I've heard of the aftermarket hardware ripping through the uni-body rails.

my closest dealer was staying $35 per side, which isnt very cheap considering the hitch was only $25. i saw the detailed diagram for making your own, but i dont have any welding experience nor access to one for that matter.

you could get the hitch hardware(nut plates that you fish in the end of the frame), it doesnt have to come from the same company as the hitch

^--thats why i was trying to ID the hitch so i could get the hardware from them. good to hear, so IDing it now really doesnt matter

I recommend getting them. I've heard of the aftermarket hardware ripping through the uni-body rails.

^--yeah thats why i was asking which option is best. if i go with nutserts on both sides, will manufactorer hardware fit the driver side nutserts too? (and just not use the supplied plates)

Nut cert strips for the hitch ( or gas tank skid plate ) are available at a discount from on-line Jeep dealerships. Part numbers 52001174 and 52001175. Try http://www.chryslerjeepdodgeparts.com/oem_parts.html , http://www.mydodgeparts.com/ , http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=214583 .

Any brand of hitch hardware kit will work. The consist of carriage bolts and rectangular washers with square holes in them. Installing these kits is a giant pain and the have been known to cause failure of the frame rail by ripping through the sheet metal.

Nut strips are metric and hitch install kits are commonly standard thread carriage bolts.

Last edited:
Got mine at the JY. Don't know what they would have charged for the strips, by themselves. I went for a hitch $30. Took the strips as part of the rest of the mounting hardware.

i made mine a few weeks ago since the rear part of my frame was messed up slightly.

the hitch looks like a homemade btw

I don't know about that. It looks identical to mine and I believe it may be a Valley brand. I just did not say as I don't remember exactly what the sticker was on it before I sandblasted it for paint. Of course the valley does look like some guy welded it up in his garage. Not ugly just practical.

Back