• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what controls the resistance in steering?

ChipsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
what is it that controls the resistance in steering?

I have a 92 briarwood that has easy turning of the steering wheel.
My other 2 jeeps (92 and 93 xjs) have steering that has more resistance.

The first is not loose or anything, it just does not have the resistance/control of the others.

thanks

Assuming nothing is worn out, it's usually a difference in the design of the steering gear itself. Some are boosted more than others, and at some point in the life of the XJ, the boost was decreased. Is it possible the easy one has at some point received a replacement steering gear or pump? When I replaced the gear on my 95 with one from an 89 the difference was dramatic: early XJ's were overboosted to the point where you could just about give the wheel a whack and it would keep spinning. It seems unlikely, but I also wonder if the Briarwood, being a luxo model, had cushier steering than the more plebian models.

You might also check the condition of the steering damper. If it's worn out, you might have easier steering, and if your alignment and tires are very good, you won't always miss it otherwise.

Back