• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pro Comp 53111 spring problems

DangerousMouse

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, my friend and I installed Rusty's 2" front springs and Pro Comp 53111 rear springs this past weekend (still stock shocks...ya I know) and the lift looks great but the rear springs ride like absolute crap. It is obscenely stiff. I have an 85 Fiero GT with 300# springs and a full poly suspension and it rides better than my Jeep right now. A friend of a friend has this same setup on his Jeep and it rides only slightly stiffer than stock. I'm not sure if I just need to wait for the new springs to settle or if we somehow botched the install. The reasons that I am wondering this are the clunks that I hear coming from the rear when I go over a bump at slow speed (I don't know if they are there at high speed because my tires are pretty noisy) and the fact that if I push down on the rear of the car it doesn't compress at all, maybe a quarter of an inch at most...it's almost like pushing on a rock. When I go over a speed bump the front is like stock but the rear clunks and is ridiculously stiff. It's almost painful to drove down the highway. Also, (I don't know if this is related because I did the tires/wheels and lift all at once) whenever I come to a stop, as the car slows down I hear a sound like a tire rubbing on the fender flare a kind of wuub wuuub wuuuub (if that helps at all). The tires are not close to anything so I don't think anything is rubbing. Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:
did you tighten/torque the leaf spring bushings bolts with the weight of the vehicle on the ground?

procomp springs are known to be stiff.

noise in the rear could be the shocks or possibly the leaf spring bushings if they are over torqued.

Your running stock shocks......A full leaf pack will generate more lift than advertised so if you thought you might get away with stock shocks for the advertised lift height the shocks probably dont have much if any out travel. There new springs correct? a new spring pack needs time to settle a little, it should calm down after awhile. Throw some weight in the back, get the correct shocks and take it out and cycle the rear suspension a few times.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys. So, new shocks, tighten the bolts with the car on the ground, and be patient, yes? I can do that. So you don't think that I could have messed anything up then?

Thanks for the replies guys. So, new shocks, tighten the bolts with the car on the ground, and be patient, yes? I can do that. So you don't think that I could have messed anything up then?

no,

loosen the spring eye bushing bolts with the weight of the vehicle on the ground, push down a few times so the back end goes up and down, retorque the bolts.

I just installed a 53111 3.5" Pro Comp leaf spring pack in my 92 XJ Laredo.

3" lift shocks all around and 3" coil springs up front, 1" transfer case drop.

I did have a hell of a clunk when I hit a large bump but discovered the culprit.

IMG_1811.jpg

IMG_1813.jpg

The bolt on the spring pack, it sticks out past the nut on the other end and hits the exhaust pipe, quick easy fix is to clamp the spring back, undo the nut and bolt and reverse it so the nut is on the outer side.

I'd check yours out for proper spacing as well. The pipe is secured where the tank skid plate attaches as well, an that is what makes the loudest clunk.

As for being stiff oh very stiff indeed. I've only been riding on them for a week and a few days now so I can't say much yet. Gotta extend my rear brake line from the chassis to the axle before I thrash on it or I'll tear it right off haha.

New tires would greatly help me too, oh well saving up for them and have them soon.

IMG_1810S.jpg

Thanks for the pics, that's a sweet looking XJ! I'll report back after I get the new shocks on, check the clearance you mentioned and retorque the bolts.

Last edited:
Back